Chapter 1

Before

I hear a faint knock at the door, mum I think to myself, she is the only person in this house who actually knocks.

“Yeah come in,” I murmur.

“Hey honey, how’s it going?”

“Ok I guess, why?”

I look up at her, she has red puffy eyes that glint in the light and tear marks down her cheeks.

“What’s wrong mum? Why were you crying?” I ask. She just looks at me with no expression, like her soul has left her body.

“Sweetie… there was umm… an accident…” her voice starts to trail off into a quiver, tears start rolling down her cheeks. Oh no, I think to myself. No no no no no please don’t let this be. I can’t even begin to make a sound, my whole body starts shaking and tears start to stream down my face. Dad died was all that was going through my head.

“Where was it?” was all I could manage.

“It was just 10 minutes from here… he came out of the highway when a truck appeared from the intersection and smashed into the side of the car… I’m so sorry honey… you can’t believe how sorry I am…”

All I can think of is that truck crashing into the side of his car, the pain that would have hit him. I’m going to kill that truck driver if it’s that last thing I do.

“WHY HIM!” I scream, “WHY him…” I start bawling and screaming. Mum tries to stop me but I start to smash everything in the room one by one. Shattered glass and ripped books are everywhere I start to punch the wall when I suddenly stop and walk to the middle of the room. Mum’s crying silently on the floor with no emotion, she looks up at me with big brown eyes.

She mutters, “You’re not the only one who lost him.” and leaves the room.