Chapter 2 - Markandeya

Once upon a time there lived a couple , they were pious , god-fearing and virtuous couple

                                                 Once upon a time there lived a couple , they were pious , god-fearing and virtuous couple. They lacked neither wealth nor position in society. But something pained them. The couple had no child.

                                                 They observed strict austerities to appease God. Their penance took them to the steep, narrow precipice of a hill. Though storm and hailstone injured their body, they continued to call the name of Lord Shiva. 

Finally that day has come, Lord Shiva Himself appeared before the couple.

In a Divine voice, Lord Shiva said "I am pleased, O noble couple, with your determined devotion. Your wish will be granted. Spell it out ". 

" We want a son, " said the man and his wife. 

"You shall have a son before the year end", said Lord Shiva and blessed the childless couple. 

"But your son will die at the age of sixteen". said Lord Shiva and disappeared. 

  Soon a son was born to them. He was named Markandeya. He was an intelligent boy. He was handsome to look upon , a clever and strong boy. Everyone liked him ,he gave love to all and made happiness wherever he went. 

Markandeya' s sacred ceremony was held at his thirteenth year. At that time he was adept in languages , scriptures and arts.  Rishis and priests coached him and sharpened his intellectual gifts.

Like his parents, he was also a great devotee of Lord Shiva. Markandeya always meditates to Lord shiva and chants mantras. 

The boy was nearing his sixteenth birthday, his parents took leave of him and went to pilgrimage as they knew Yama will be taking their beloved son' s life when he is attaining age sixteen. How could they see the death of their beloved son before their own eyes? 

 It was his sixteenth birthday...

Thanks for reading this chapter! 

Twitter : @Sublue22