Chapter Six

A crisp breeze blows across my face ruffling my hair and making me shiver. Opening my eyes I see the city lights of Saint Paul shinning through the falling snow. I’m home! I’m finally home, away from all the technology. Three weeks ago I never would have said I disliked techy stuff, but now I’m perfectly happy with my little dumpy laptop. You know the type where you have to use a mouse.

I blink as a snowflake lands on my nose. The lights from Tikes Bar & Grill across the street shine bright in the fading light. I can smell the oil and the scent of beer mixed with the crisp clean smell that comes with snow fall. It’s the scent of home.

Looking down I see I still have the half eaten pack of red vines in my hand. Half a piece of licorice is still in my grasp. I’m really home, and my first mission starts here. A door on the patio of the bar slams across the street, snapping me out of stupor.

“Well we made it,” says Ty from behind me. He’s leaning against the brick wall by the fire exit. He looks just like he did before everything started. He’s the same cute stranger who picked up my pencil in Spanish class. But I also know now why he was really there. I was his assignment, and still sort of am. Whatever transpired between us before wasn’t real. But looking into his eyes I can’t seem to keep my train of thought. His black beanie is pulled down covering his ears, and his dark hair is peeking out around the edges.

“Yeah,” I say leaning against the railing “back where it all started.”

A burst of courage sprouted in my stomach, and without thinking, I threw the half eaten piece of candy at him. Hitting him in the shoulder I grinned. A little grin, but none the less a small smile. He caught it as it bounced off his shoulder.

“What was that for?” he ask in mock indigence.

“I don’t know,” I say shrugging my shoulders “I just felt like throwing something at you,” holding in a laugh I open the squeaky door and walk into the well light hall. I’m enveloped by the familiar smell of popcorn.

“I don’t officially get off until midnight,” I say turning as he walks in. A strong gust of wind sneaks through and tracks snow onto the carpet. I shiver, because I was really smart and didn’t bring my jacket when I was originally going to take my break on the balcony. Snow spots Ty’s hat and hair.

I have to look up to make eye contact with him. He is at least three inches taller than me.

“If we don’t want to draw attention then we need to keep up appearances,” I say crossing my arms. Looking at his feet he puts his hands in his jacket pockets.

“I’ll find Macy and Alex,” says Ty pulling out his keytag and checking the screen. “They should have landed about the same time we did.”

“We will meet you in the lobby at midnight after your shift.”

“What about Ajax?” I ask.

“He’s probably with the others,” he says. Nodding I turn to leave, when he says something else. Pulling up his hood he adds “The federation will have made a cover for you, so your parents don’t cause any problems.”

“You shouldn’t go home Izzy, its best if you let them be until after this whole things over.”

Hearing my nickname come out of his mouth makes my heart beat speed up. I shouldn’t like it, I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help the shivers it sends up my spine. Ty barely knows me, and yet it seems like he knows me better than anyone else. I hadn’t even fully thought of trying to go home yet. Looking at his grim expression I nod. We part ways without saying anything else. I purposely avoided eye contact. Of course I’m going to go home, mom and dad don’t need to see me, but I have to know that they’re okay. That the way my mom’s eye glanced over me with no recognition at all, was just a dream.