Day 2

Day 2

Dear Madison,

This one may be a little short because you're showering now, so I thought I'd use this time wisely.

This morning when you woke up, you cried again.

We both did.

It breaks my heart each time I see a single tear stream down your beautiful face, or each time I see a look of pain or sadness in your eyes.

We didn't talk much about the situation at hand today. I figured you might need some time to process it.

Or, maybe I do.

Either way, I know that neither of us are ready to talk about nor accept it.

I don't think I'll ever accept it.

I don't want to.

From the time we woke up until the time we finished breakfast, I think I told you that I love you about twenty times.

You laughed me off, giggling each time. You told me I didn't need to keep reminding you because you knew.

I know that you know I love you, but I'll still remind you.

I'll remind you every single day.

I love you.

After breakfast, I asked you to get a shower and get dressed because we're going somewhere special.

I know that a million places are probably going through your head right now and because it's you, I know that you're in the shower going through every place in your mind that may seem special to both of us.

I'm sure you have, but just in case you haven't guessed it yet, I'm taking you to the beach.

Although you can't get in the water, I'm bringing a picnic blanket, some food and other little bits for us to just sit there and take in the beauty and meaning of the place to us.

I remember laying eyes on you for the very first time at this same beach. That day will always be the best and most memorable day of my life.

The day I met you.

It's so hard to believe that it's been almost seven years since that day and I can honestly say that I wouldn't take a second of that time back.

It's been the best (almost) seven years of my life.

With you.

I remember standing there, at the beach and thinking to myself 'Wow, she's beautiful.'

And you were.

You still are.

You will always be the most beautiful girl I've ever seen, inside and out. That's something that your illness can never take from you.

I had to talk to you that day. I needed an excuse, but I had to avoid being caught or seen.

I walked up to you and asked to borrow your sun cream. Seems stupid now, I know, but I just needed to talk to you. I thought you'd laugh and shut me off straight away.

But you didn't.

You gave me the sun cream, wearing that same beautiful smile that I've been so privileged to see every day since then.