Chapter 2

"You did a wonderful job!" my mom said once I was done playing.

"Thanks, Mom," I said, beaming. I smelled her sweet perfume as she wrapped me up in a bear hug. Next it was Dad's turn.

"I'm so proud of you, honey!" he exclaimed, rubbing my shoulders and then pulling me in for a hug.

"I especially liked your version of that Justin Timberlake song," my dad commented.

"I thought Breathless sounded beautiful. You really did great on that one," Mom nodded with a smile.

"Thank you guys so much," I replied. "I'm gonna catch up with Ed, okay?"

My parents nodded in response and gave me kisses on my cheeks before I bounced excitedly over to the register Ed was working at. On my way over, a short blonde woman carrying a baby stopped me.

"You did a great job tonight," she complimented.

"Thank you so much! I'm going to start playing here every other Thursday. You should consider coming regularly!"

"Definitely," she replied with a smile. I finished the walk to the counter where Ed stood, a huge smile spread across his face.

"You did amazing!" he exclaimed, squeezing my shoulders over the counter. I couldn't help smiling.

"I do try," I joked, flipping my ponytail over my shoulder.

"I think I know who that Sparks Fly song is about."

I felt myself blushing.

"Do you still have feelings for Harry?" Ed squeaked.

"Don't be stupid, Ed," I said, tugging on his hair.

"Ouch," he muttered.

"I wrote that song years ago."

Okay, I was lying. I wasn't exactly ready to admit to Ed that yes, I did have feelings for Harry. In fact, every little thing about Harry that I'd told myself I hated...I actually loved.

"Good, 'cause he's a bastard."

I shrugged and looked at the floor.

"Speak of the devil," Ed mumbled. I felt the warmth of a hand on my shoulder, and I turned to face the green eyes that seemed to be tattooed to the inside of my eyelids, haunting me every time I shut them.

"Hello, Taylor." Harry said, "Ed."

Ed nodded in reply to Harry's greeting, but there wasn't even a hint of a smile on his lips.

"I'd like another coffee," Harry said, finally removing his hand from my shoulder. I exhaled, not even realizing that I'd been holding my breath.

"How do you like it?"

"Just black."

"Ah," Ed said as he turned to face the coffee machine, "Bitter, just like you."

I stifled a laugh. Good one, Ed. This is why we're friends.

"Funny," Harry muttered. He paid Ed with a couple of crumpled bills before stepping out of line to wait for his order. I stood next to him, awkwardly aware of his heavy breathing and the light scent of the cologne he had always taken to drenching himself in.

"Harry," Pete, another employee called. Harry grabbed his coffee, took a sip, and looked at me.

"Look," he growled, "I don't appreciate your little obsession with me, and I definitely don't appreciate you writing a song about it."

I was silent as he glared down at me.

"How do you know it was about you?" I breathed. It had been forever since we'd talked.

Harry let out a sigh. "I'll see you at school."

And he was gone.

* * * *

Three days later, my breath caught in my throat as we entered the indoor ice arena, which was decorated with banners and streamers celebrating the New Year. There was a party here every year on New Year's Eve. Ed had made it his own tradition, but I'd never been. We waited in line for a bit, giving my nerves plenty of time to build up. I didn't know the first thing about ice skating.

God, what if Harry was here?

"They don't have half sizes. Should I get you an eight?" Ed asked. I guessed he was talking about skates, but I was slightly flustered at his knowledge of my shoe size.

"What? How do you know my shoe size?"

"She'll have an eight," Ed said to the lady behind the counter.

"Okay," I said as we made our way over to the benches, "I really don't know about this."

"C'mon Tay, you'll be fine."

I sighed as Ed took a seat on one of the very uncomfortable-looking wooden benches and started to lace his skates. I sat beside him and tried repeating his actions, but he was finished before I'd even started.

He watched me struggle for a moment and let out a light laugh.

"Allow me," he said, kneeling on the ground and taking my foot into his lap. He had my skates laced and tied up in no time.

"Thanks, Ed," I said.

"Sure."

We wobbled over to the doors to the rink. Ed could probably run a mile in his skates, while I had to concentrate on keeping my balance with every step I took. If it was this hard on the ground, I couldn't imagine what it'd be like on the ice.

As soon as we were inside, I stopped dead.

There were hoards of girls in glittery skating uniforms in every corner, twirling and speeding around the rink. There were big hockey players, circles of middle schoolers, and couples holding hands. It was so crowded.

"I can't do it," I said. I didn't see anyone else struggling, which made me feel even worse.

"Taylor," Ed said gently, holding both of my hands, "Yes you can. You're fearless."

I raised an eyebrow at him.

He flashed a crooked smile, his light-colored lashes fluttering as his eyes sparkled with hope.

"Fine." I smiled and squeezed his hands, then let go.

Ed was good at skating, but even better at teaching me how to do it. He let me stay close to the wall and kept telling me to ignore everyone around us. It actually worked. I concentrated on my feet, letting them glide in little baby steps across the ice. Ed held my hands the whole time.

"You're doing great!" he exclaimed after lap one.

The Chicken Dance came blasting from the speakers and Ed shot me an expectant look.

"No."

"C'mon," he begged, making his arms into chicken wings. "See how fun it is?"

I couldn't help laughing at how ridiculous Ed looked as he circled me, flapping his wings, clapping, and wiggling his hips to the music. I eventually gave in and danced to the song we'd both always loved dancing to.

"Ladies and gents, there are now only two hours until the new year," the DJ announced over the intercom, but I had no idea where he was.

"The party has only just begun!" Ed exclaimed, taking my hand and dragging me over to the wall for a break.

"So when the couple skate comes along...we skate together, right?" Ed said without even thinking about it.

"Ed," I groaned, "This is why everyone at school thinks we're dating."

He looked hurt, his brow furrowed and his eyes confused.

"Not that you're totally undateable," I said, flustered.

"Yeah," Ed mumbled. "Not totally undateable."

"Let's just have a good time and not worry about it, okay?" I said. Ed sighed and gave a slow nod. I punched his shoulder.

They were playing my favorite Maroon 5 song, This Love. Ed and I skated slowly around the rink a few times before a broad-shouldered jock in a hockey jacket skated up to me and made an obnoxious hockey stop dangerously close to me, his two buddies close behind him.

"Uhm...excuse us?" I said, trying to skate around them.

"We'd be happy to show you the ropes," one of the guys said.

"No thanks. I'm...with him," I said, leaning into Ed with a weak smile.

"I told you, Josh," one of the guys blurted as they skated away.

We continued to skate slowly but surely. The close-knit jock group lapped us at least twice.

"So you can use me to get rid of horny bastards, but I can't use you to avoid humiliation?"

"Aw, Ed, I'm sorry, I just-"

"I'm kidding," Ed said.

"Oh," I said.

After a good half hour or so of ice skating, the dreaded moment arrived.

"Grab your partner's hand...we're gonna slow things down a bit," the DJ's voice boomed from speakers all around us.

I immediately reached for Ed's hand. He offered a small smile. "You don't have to do this."

"I want to!" I assured him. He shrugged and we skated on. I was still wobbly and sweating from nerves, but overall I was doing okay. I just felt bad that Ed had to hold my cold, clammy hand.

After the couple skate, they played Free Falling, one of Harry's favorites as I couldn't help recalling. Ed seemed reluctant to let go of my hand, but eventually loosened his grip so I could pull away.

A few songs later, the DJ stopped the music and announced that there were four minutes until midnight and that everyone should help themselves to refreshments and party hats outside the rink.

We headed out the doors to the room with the wood benches. There were huge snack tables in every corner. I squeezed through the crowds and paid for two cans of Ginger Ale for Ed and I.

"A Ginger Ale for my favorite ginger," I joked as I tossed it to him.

"Very funny," he said, rolling his eyes.

After Ed placed a "Happy New Year" paper tiara on my head and a party hat on his own, we turned our attention to the wall where Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve was being screened on a giant white sheet.

The countdown came and we all shouted the numbers.

5...

4...

3...

2...

1...

All I felt were Ed's hands on my waist as he spun me around and our mouths met in a brief, nervous kiss.

Bursts of laughter and cries of joy spurted from the crowd all around us like fireworks.

It was my first kiss. It wasn't that wonderful. Just two sets of chapped lips meeting, two old friends kissing, two nervous teenagers. What did this mean? It wasn't like the pecks on the cheek I'd been giving him my whole life. It was a loving gesture.

"I've been waiting to do that for a while," he said with a sigh as he rubbed the back of his neck and looked up at me with hopeful blue eyes.

"I..."

"I'm sorry...I shouldn't have-"

I interrupted him by pressing my lips to his.