Chapter 3 - Affection

Images flashed before her eyes as Lena dreamed of battles long since the past. She saw hordes of men with swords and shields and men on horseback. Their battle cries were deafening as they charged towards one another. She saw corpses surrounding her, piling haphazardly on top of one another. The strong metallic scent of blood filled her nostrils as she watched the carnage around her...

She sat up with a start, breathing heavily, aware of a presence in the room.

"Lena? You are okay?" his husky voice sounded in the darkness, and immediately, she knew she was. It was Cú Chulainn.

Her shaky breathing was all she could muster, and she clawed out in the direction his voice came from. His hand was there, and she gave it a gentle pull, and he sat down on the edge of her bed. Before she could let go, now that she knew where he was, he had gently held her much smaller hand and linked their fingers together.

"I felt your fear. Did you have a bad dream?" Lena felt better again after hearing him speak.

She nodded but realised he probably couldn't see it. "Yeah, bad dream," she said breathlessly.

He crawled over to the other side of the bed and put his arm around her shoulders. He smelled like her shampoo, and she shuffled closer to him, resting her head on his chest and placing a hand on his pectoral. After a few minutes, she calmed down but found she didn't want him to go now that she was okay. The young man's affections were getting more frequent, but she couldn't help but want more. She couldn't slow down her heart rate, but it wasn't because of the dream. Though it was ridiculous, she knew that if an ordinary, mortal man treated her like this, she would be head over heels. Although he was a Heroic Spirit, she couldn't squash the butterflies in her stomach, but denying that she just might have feelings for him was getting harder.

"It's okay. You're safe with me. If anyone tries to hurt you, they'll choke on my spear." His words, albeit violent, were still sweet in their meaning.

She heard the faint anger in them at the thought of someone hurting her, and if she weren't so rattled, she would have smiled.

"Thank you." She whispered into his muscled chest and nuzzled closer.

"Come on, let's go back to sleep," he suggested, shuffling so that they were both lying down.

Their position didn't change much aside from that, and he rolled into her a little to bring her closer, placing his other arm over her waist. He was blissfully warm, and she sighed contentedly as his thumb ran patterns on her hip. She could tell that he was smiling, even though it was dark, and her fingers gently began to trace the outlines of his musculature on his chest and stomach. He made a low rumbling sound in his chest, which she presumed meant he didn't mind and continued. Once she began to get too low, his almost purring noises became warning sounds.

"If you get any further south, I can't be responsible for what happens afterwards." she gathered from his voice that her caresses were affecting him, so she brought her hands back up to her chest and kept them there.

Instead of continuing her absent-minded touches, she rolled over to face her back to him. Little did she realise, but this was just as bad for him. Now he had to deal with her perfectly round buttocks up against him, and he willed himself to try and sleep instead of ravishing her in every which way he could. Mentally, he sighed and just tried to concentrate on how nice it felt to have her in his arms.

Lately, it had been getting more and more difficult to keep her out of his head. If she left the house for a while, he would be bored out of his mind because she wasn't there for him to talk to. When she was there, he just enjoyed watching her do what she usually did daily. Cooking, cleaning up, do a bit of physical and mage training. Since they had started training with weapons and just hand-to-hand, it had been harder again.