The Day/Prologue

This was the day. The late year fireworks were going to go off in a few hours as the sun set. My only option was to sit outside and watch them from the buildings back balcony with my friend Alex. I actually wasn't too interested in watching it, I just needed to get my mind off of people. I yawned as the sun went down and it got chillier. The only thing I was wearing was a tank top and my hoodie with my usual skinny jeans. "You sure you're okay?" Alex asked me through the window. I nodded and gave a small smile. The only reason she had asked that was because of a number of arguments I had with my mother. I slowly closed the door to my room, making sure it didn't slam. 

My mother had gone out with a few of her friends and had left Alex and I alone, as to which we decided to relax like always. I sighed heavily as I pulled some blankets from the closet and dragged them out the front door with me. Alex and I had decided to sit in the stairwell on the 12th floor while watching the sunset and the fireworks. I yawned as we sat down, dragging the blankets closer around us. If some people didn't know us so well, they'd say we were a couple. We were nothing more than good friends. As I heard the pop of the fireworks begin, I closed my eyes and snuggled my head deeper into my hoodie. "Tired, huh?" Alex whispered, patting my head. She pulled her phone out and began texting people as I slowly fell asleep, only waking up to the occasional loud firework or video from Alex. I guess that was when I decided to live in a dream.

But was it ever really a dream?