Chapter II

"H-Hello?" I asked, looking behind the tree quickly. I gulped slightly as I saw nothing but the darkened and empty woods. Moonlight streamed through the thick coverage and leaves of the tree branches above, making the woods look spooky. I shivered, rubbing my upper arms to keep some kind of warmth within my body. Fallen leaves begin to rustle and crunch behind me, making me gasp and turn around quickly, only to meet the deep yellow eyes of a very large wolf. The wolf has a dark jet black pelt, as it stood there before me. I shook and walked backwards until I hit the tree again. The wolf walked forward, reaching its snout outwards, seeming to try and sniff me. I cringed and closed one eye and sucked in a deep breath. The wolf stopped, just before my face and snarls, drawing back its lips and baring his large fangs. A piercing howl shatters the cold air and the dark wolf backs, I opened my eyes again. The wolf threw his head back into the air, and sent out a responding howl. The wolf then looked back down, lowering its head to be eye level with me. It huffed and stepped backwards, turning completely and ran its way through the woods soon to disappear into the thick foliage without a sound.

"Oh my God." I said, breathing heavily and fast. I looked around, and quickly began to run to the house. Stumbling over roots and twigs, I began to sweat, even though the air was still cold. Finally reaching the back yard of the house I stopped, taking a second to catch my breath and look back. The woods looked peaceful, not a slight movement or stir. My whole body trembled now, from being scared and from the cold, I ran into the house. My grandmother rushed into the kitchen, leaving my grandfather in the living room and, grasped me into a hug.

"I was so worried, where were you?" She asked, pushing me out to arms-length only to bring me back into a hug again.

"I'm fine, Grandmother." I said to her, trying to wiggle myself out of her embrace. She released me, and I gave her a slight smile.

"Alright, if you're still hungry there's more lasagna in the fridge. Just heat it up." My grandmother said, rubbing my upper arms before walking back to my grandfather.

I nodded and looked away, quickly heading up the stairs and to my room. I deeply sighed, closing the door to my bedroom and leaned back against it. I pulled my shoes and sweatshirt off and threw them to the nearest corner of my room, leaving them there until I decided to leave the house again. I made my way to my bed, and slowly covered myself with the messy sheets. I laid there, my hair sprawled out everywhere across my pillow, my thoughts consuming me once again. 

Why would a wolf come to me? Why didn't it eat me, I was helpless, like a deer in headlights. There must be more than just one, they were howling to each other. Maybe they are after me. The thoughts swarmed in my head like a thousand bees.

The rest of the night was the same. My thoughts clouded my head, preventing any sort of sleep. Tossing and turning, I laid there restless, hungry for more answers to my endless questions. Crickets and other insects chirped and sang their nightly song, and it was the only thing that kept me here in the real world instead of living inside my thoughts that night. The moon glistened brightly, coming into view though my tiny window. The thoughts of the wolf came back into my head, how he or she was so careful around me, like I was something special, something fragile. Sleep finally came, but not for long.

Morning gradually came upon me, and I was now awake with the birds. I laid in my bed quietly for some time. My hair now tangled and matted up around my head. Knowing my grandparents, I knew they would still be asleep. They could sleep all day if given the chance. Slowly I stood, stretching and trying to tame my hair with my nimble fingers. Seeing that it wasn't working I trudged my way to the bathroom and got undressed, hopping into the shower. Steam filled the room as I shampooed my hair and washed away last night's dirt from the woods. I soon shut the shower off, grabbing a towel from the rack and wrapped it around myself, then combed my wet, dripping hair.

Walking to the sink I looked at myself in the mirror, noting my pale appearance, then looked down. There, before my eyes sat the razor. The same razor I used to wound myself with just 3 days ago. My glance shifted to the mirror, my face pale and plain, as usual. I looked down, my body was covered with a towel, but underneath I still felt grimy, and responsible for what ever happened to my family. Why couldn't I have done something?... Was all I thought when I reached for the razor, picking it up with a shaky hand. I lifted my other arm and slid the blade across it, blood spilling out. I winced, but kept my gaze there, on my arm, making more incisions, deeper and longer every time. Soon, blood filled the sink, staining the creamy marble a deep red. Dry eyed and bleeding from my arm, I walked to my dresser and dressed myself. I took a bandage and wrapped my wounded arm to hide the immense bleeding. I felt like I needed the pain, the only way to try and release some of my emotions.

Needing some fresh air, I grabbed my sweatshirt and slipped it over my head, gripping the ends of the armholes with my hands to make sure my cuts weren't seen. I walked down stairs quietly, making sure not to wake my grandparents and grabbed my car keys. The rush of warm air welcomed me as I stepped outside, heading to my small and rusted car. Turning the key into the ignition, I backed from the driveway, driving down the long road filled with horrible memories.