Chapter 1

UNEDITED: DO NOT COPY THE WORKS YOU READ. ALL WORKS ARE COPYRIGHTED AND WILL BE EDITED IN THE FUTURE. Enjoy!

There has been a name change and a few edits so you might be confused if you don't re-read it. Sorry! 

Her heart was pounding in her chest and her breath short and raspy as Layla pounded through the darkened forest. She glanced behind her knowing they were gaining on her, how could they not? They were, after all, some type of immortal being. Layla ran faster attempting to find a way to safety knowing in the recesses of her mind there was no safe haven. Layla’s momentary lapse in judgment had the ground-rushing fast towards her as her left ankle twisted from the tree stump she had failed to notice. She lost her breath momentarily as the wind was knocked out of her. Layla yanked on her foot realizing that it was stuck in the tree stump. Sitting up she hurriedly pulled her foot from the stump noticing the ankle already swelling and bruising. She looked around hoping they hadn’t gained on her and stood up only to fall back down, her ankle was broken.

“Damnit!” Layla whispered in frustration. She knew this would be the end, already hearing them surround her. She stood up leaning her weight on her right foot and angled her face up with pride, not letting them win and find any sign of weakness in her.

“Tisk tisk my dear,” Lucian spoke as he slowly walked up to Layla. “Now why would you go running off like that knowing you can’t hide from me?” his hot breath was on her cheek as he spoke, his face almost touching hers.

Layla’s white gown was covered in mud and her dried blood from just a day ago. Her sandals had fallen off at some point while she was running, and her leg had a huge gash from the top of her thigh down to her calf. She knew her blood was calling to the hunters. She could feel their anticipation, though Lucian would never let them touch her. Her abuse was saved especially for him to dish out.

“Fuck off!” Layla spit knowing it wouldn’t do or mean anything to him, but feeling better saying it.

Lucian laughed his wickedly smooth laugh.

“Reasons yet why you will be mine. And if not, well, you know the outcome.” He told her his nails elongating at the challenge. Layla knew she would never be his willingly.

She smiled with pride.             

“Right you are Lucian,” and with that she grabbed his hand and stuck his nail through her own heart. Lucian screamed.

...

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Layla woke with a start drenched in sweat. Her heart was pounding and her body sore. She must have been sleeping with her body tense from the dream. She ran her hands all over her body to ensure there was no real damage done, even though she knew there would not be. She’s been having this sequence of dreams for as long as she could remember.

Standing up, Layla threw the down comforter off of her drenched body and shut the alarm off. Walking to her attached bathroom she started the shower and began to undress watching her body in the full mirror. Her eyes were ice blue, but had a tendency to turn green when she was really happy or excited. They have always had dark circles under them from her lack of sleep. Her chocolate brown hair cascaded down her back reaching her mid back, its waves disheveled from sleep. Her side bangs were sticking to her forehead from the sweat. She took a deep breath and shook her head.

Climbing in the shower she began replaying the dream, as always, looking for clues.

She knew it was 3AM. She set her alarm ever since she was a child knowing it would wake her up at the right moment, the moment the dream turned to a sort of reality, but lately the dream had been coming on faster and stronger. She didn’t know when it would hit anymore and that frightened her. She could only hope the alarm would wake her in time. Tonight she hadn’t been so lucky.