chapter 2

Hiro showered, shaved, and ate breakfast (and nothing else) before joining Honey and GoGo on the bus back to the university. Amazing, Hiro thought, how they'd saved the city a dozen times but still none of them could afford so much as a scooter.

For whatever reason, the bus was mostly deserted. Hiro sat in the back, Honey next to him, while GoGo sat in the middle of the bus. The moment she sat down, her head was against the window and she conked out with an obnoxious snore, barely drowned out by the noise of the bus's big diesel engine.

"So," Honey said after the initial jolt of motion, "is she going to tell?"

"Who? About what?"

Honey's big eyes took surprisingly little time to roll. "GoGo! About the kiss!"

"Oh, that."

"That? It was an hour ago! Your first kiss ever!"

"Yeah," Hiro said. "It was nice."

He stared out the window.

Honey elbowed him in the ribs. "Well!?"

"Oh, of course she's not going to tell, Honey. She's your friend, our friend. And besides, it's not like she even cares."

Honey was staring at him. She angrily adjusted some of her hair behind her headband. "She didn't kiss you, did she?"

"What? No, of course not! She's not even—we don't even-"

"Then why are you acting so weird?"

"Why are you acting so weird?" Hiro fired back. "We kissed, once, and now you're acting like you're my girlfriend or something!"

And that was the kind of sentence Hiro instantly regretted.

Honey lowered her glasses, staring at him over the magenta rims. "I'm sorry, how many kisses would it take to be your girlfriend? Hypothetically speaking, since I don't want to be your girlfriend."

"It wasn't even-"

"Not that I don't want to be your girlfriend, I mean, not that anyone wouldn't want to be your girlfriend, if they were a girl, you're a really great guy!" Honey did not want to insult Hiro on his birthday, even if he was being impossible. "But if-"

"It wasn't a real kiss!" Hiro saw Honey huff in dismay. "I mean, it was a real kiss, but it was just platonic! I don't expect you to hop into bed with me or-" Another bad kind of sentence.

"It would be nice to be asked!"

"You want me to ask you to..."

Honey poked her glasses up the bridge of her nose. "Well, clearly not. But you know what I mean."

Hiro laughed in her face. "Sorry, sorry—I would love to hop into bed with you."

"Thank you."

"And honestly, me and GoGo, we didn't kiss."

"Thank you."

"She just gave me a gift card to Olive Garden. Twenty-five dollars."

Honey's sudden smile fell. "So, does she expect you to take her there?"

"I doubt it... I could take the whole gang there..."

"No, twenty-five dollars, that's not enough for five people. Two entrees, appetizers, drinks, dessert, that comes out to about twenty-three dollars!"

Hiro blinked. "Does everyone love Olive Garden but me?"

"That was a great gift, Hiro. A wonderful gift. I should've gotten you something like that."