testify

testify

Halie called me once over the course of the two weeks we've been 'separated'. It hurt to end our call, fear that her father would hear, and it was like we were in high school, sneaking around.

I was in my house, everything now unpacked and in its respectful place, writing music. In school, at an early age, I fell in love with music. All kinds. I was told I should've got into music and a career, but I never listened. I've written a few songs over the years, my most recent ones probably the best.

I'm looking at one I wrote only days ago. I don't have too, too much experience in this, but I try. I named it 'Testify' and it seemed fitting. I was singing it in my head, humming to what I imagined the beat to be. I had an acoustic guitar in my room, one I'd gotten for my 15th birthday, and so I grabbed it and began to play.

Over the course of an hour, I'd sort of figured that if I ever wanted to make this song know, I knew how I'd want it to go. I couldn't seem to get Halie off my mind. I desperately wanted to feel her lips against mine.

I decided to go for a jog. 'Coincidently' passed Halie's house. I got on basketball shorts and a muscle shirt, readying my headphones and my phone, putting on a playlist. I locked the house and started out slow, then worked my way up. I started to get up to her house, and could see her on her porch. Getting the house decorated for Halloween with her mother. They usually were big with holiday decorations.

As I ran, I tried to keep my breathing steady, glancing at them occasionally. Halie looked just in time, and it was as though everything around us was in slow motion. The smile she gave me was the sweetest one I've ever seen. She had her hair up in her messy ponytail and was hanging Halloween lights over the porch.

Her mother had no clue I was even out here. I smiled at Halie, mouthing 'I love you'. She said it back, and I thought about it all day. Once the evening rolled around, I texted her, hoping she'd answer. We had to be careful with that. Her father has a real bad temper, and he didn't want us talking under any circumstances.

Nick: hey, how's it going?

She didn't respond for awhile, and I knew why. I got up to go get something for dinner. To say that I could cook isn't exactly true. I could if I figured it out, and took the time to do it, but I don't have anything in the house yet anyway. Except for a box of cereal and a bottle of juice.

I got my keys, going out in what I changed into after my run. I got in the car, starting it, and turned on the radio. I made my way to the grocery store, picking up a couple pizzas and chips. That should be good for now until I can set aside some time to go shopping. Not that I particularly like grocery shopping. I was planning to wait until Halie could come with me, but I wasn't sure how soon that was going to happen.

I got home, making myself a pizza right away considering I was starving. I waited for it to be done by playing a little more on my guitar. I'm self-taught, and I have to admit, I'm not half bad. The acoustic guitar is my favorite, so I usually spent a bit more time playing that when I was a kid.

Our anniversary was coming in only a few days, and I didn't want to be without her for it. Her dad seriously couldn't do that. Could he? Just as I was about to eat, a text from Halie alarmed my phone.

Halie: alright. I miss you, and you're all I've been thinking about. Our anniversary is in four days...

Nick: it is. Your dad can't really keep us apart for it can he?

Halie: he could, but I pray he won't. But I've gotta go. I love you

Nick: I love you Halie Faith

My heart dropped when she said it was a possibility. I tried to think more positive, watched tv, played the guitar, anything. I sang my song over and over, trying to get it damn near perfect. Three hours later, and it was finally finished.

I looked at the final copy, grinning to myself. I couldn't wait for her to hear it, considering it was about her anyway. I crawled into bed that night, not able to sleep, a replay of the last few nights. When I finally did drift off to sleep, I dreamt of Halie that night.

In the morning, I was woken up by my phone ringing loudly. Why did I have my ringer on at night? I asked myself this as I grumbled and found it in the pocket of my pants on the floor.

"Hello?" I tiredly asked in the speaker, yawning as I spoke.

"Nick..." Halie's scared voice greeted me. Oh no. I shot upright in the bed. She was whispering so I knew she must be calling me where her father wouldn't be able to hear and it must be important.

"Halie. What's wrong baby?" I rubbed my eyes with my thumbs, waking myself up.

"He hit me."

"Who? Your dad."

"Yes."

She breathed out, and it sounded like she was having a hard time doing so. My God. My eyes widened.

"What happened?" I soothed.

"My mom isn't home, and he's been drinking. He's hit her before, as you know, but never me. I don't know what to-" just then, I heard her father's recognizable yell in the background. All I heard was a punching noise and the line went dead. My mind was going a million miles an hour, and I couldn't seem to think of anything else but the fact he could be killing her.

I got dressed and grabbed my keys, not bothering to lock the house. I raced over to her house, jumping out of the car and running into the Jackson house. I heard her scream and cry.

"You disrespect me in my house....then you talk to him behind my back." Keith growled at his daughter. They were upstairs. I ran up there, nearly out of breath. He glared at me over his shoulder, his eyes red. Before I had control over what I was doing, I lunged at him and pushed him out of the way, picking Halie up and getting out of the house as fast as I could.

I put her in the passenger seat, and she buckled herself in. I saw bruises already forming on her arms, my chest tightening. Had he hit her more then once? I shut her door, getting behind the wheel.

"Where do you want to go?" I murmured the question. She was slightly shaking, looking at me with widened eyes. I cleared my throat.

"Can we go....just somewhere away from here. Please." Her eyes pleaded to me as I stepped on the gas pedal.

I drove for a good half hour before getting to where I decided we would go. The spot we always came to after school on Friday nights. I parked the car, turning it off. Halie turned to look at me, tears threatening to come. Without word, I got out of the car, going over to her side.

I opened the door, putting my hand out for her to take it. She did, following me into the grass and to the tree she'd made me carve my initials into, along with her's when I was a senior. We sat at the base of the tree, and I held her in my arms. The chilly morning air still hung, but it was beginning to warm up.

"Wanna tell me what happened?" I whispered, her ear to my chest. I kissed her hair, trying to coax her.

"This wasn't the first time," those words set me off, but I held my tongue. I looked at the bruises on her arms that formed finally from today.

"He's hit me before. Not too bad though. Only when I did something wrong or he drank heavily. I wasn't lying to you...I just-"

"It's okay. I just want you to be safe, and if it's not at your house, then you can come live with me baby. This can't keep going on." I rubbed her arm in circles with my thumb, looking out onto the river. She didn't speak for a few moments.

"I would love nothing more then to do that. But I can't. He'd never allow it, you know that."

"I know baby, I know."

{}