-S e v e n: N a r u t o-

"So Naruto," I stopped picking at the rice with my chopstick the moment the deep voice boomed at me. "What is your place in the class?"

Place? In class? He has no idea...

I glanced to my right briefly but Hinata barely acknowledge me. Instead, she continued eating the pork cutlet without a single sound.

"I'm sorry?"

Her dad sat to her other side, at the head of the table. My own father sitting at the end with his focus spent intently on the food in front of him. Mom, who sat directly across from me, only sighed heavily.

"You class standing," Hisashi continued. "Hinata is top of the class. I wanted to make sure you were near up there as well."

If this man meant a few...hundred places down is close...

"I am close," I barely smiled, "enough."

That didn't seem like it satisfied my future in-law. The way his pale eyes narrowed told me that much at least.

"So what can you do well, Naruto?" he continued nonetheless.

Is that supposed to be an insult?

"If sleeping with other girls count for something," his daughter suddenly muttered under her own breath. "He's got an A+ in that category."

I nudge her leg with mines, clearing my throat loudly. I brag to other guys in school about it...but in front of one of the richest men on the planet I know better than to. Especially since I am supposed to marry his daughter.

Hinata barely looked at me as she addressed her father, "If it is okay with you, I would like to excuse myself."

Almost immediately after that, he slammed his hand down on the table, "This is a dinner I made to honor you. You are to stay until the last person eats their last piece of food off the plate, understood?"

W-what just happened?!

Mom and Dad exchanged a look of the shock that I shared with them. Hisashi over-reacted...for something so trivial, too. That is one scary man...I'm glad he's not my biological father. I don't think I'd be able to sit as quietly as Hinata is right now if my dad ever did that to me.

No sir, I'd pick a fight right then and there.

Or at least fallen out of the chair because that was one loud gesture.

"Of course," Hinata merely bowed, her face caked with an unreadable emotion. "As you wish."

What? No way...

That is not the right way to treat your own daughter! He spoke to her like she was some kind of servant and she answered as if she was a servant. I wasn't that close but I'm sure even Dad could feel that there was no warmth in this parent-child relationship.

No. Only complete coldness that passed through the connection.

Hinata gently laid her chopsticks down, straightened her posture and clasped her hands in her lap but didn't say or do anything more.

I have no idea what's going on here...

"Say, Hinata," Dad suddenly cleared his throat. "Are you really okay with marrying my son? I know that is rather unfair for the both of you that we're choosing the ones you spend the rest of your life with."

"My daughter will do as she is told by her only parent," Hisashi cut in, his voice as sharp as the butter laying beside my hand.

Dad only held up a hand, politely, "I want to hear my future daughter-in-law's thoughts. Do not be afraid to speak up, Hinata. We're a family now. So anything you say is important to us."