Soldier Boy 5

Thanksgiving 2002

Sophies POV

                I was so excited that everyone was going to be off from school for the next few days. I hated staying home by myself sometimes. I was being home schooled, but sometimes I just wish one of the others was with me.

                Lisa and I were in the Miltons huge manor helping in the kitchen with the Mamas. All the guys were in the den watching football, lucky bastards! I tried sneaking away at one point, but Ma caught me.

                “But Ma!” I whined. It wasn’t fair! I wanted to watch football to! “I want to watch the game!”

                Ma rolled her eyes at me. “Sophie, if you behave and do as you’re told; you can go out and play football with them later.”

                “Really?” I asked, excited. I hadn’t played football with them yet.

                “Yes, not finish rolling out the pie crusts and cutting up the apples!”

                I quickly finished prepping the apple pie and put it off to the side to go in the oven.

                Lisa nudged me with her elbow. “Let’s get out of here; we might be able to catch the last of the first half!” She whispered.

                We snuck out of the kitchen successfully, and ran to the den. I hopped over the back of the leather sofa and landed between Tim and Luke. Tim’s arm went around my shoulder and hugged me tight to his big chest.

                An hour later it was dinner time. It was a noisy event, everyone laughing and talking at once. Tim, always the loudest, was arguing with Lisa over the game. I sat quietly next to Tom, enjoying being a part of this family. He put his arm around my shoulder and hugged me quickly, kissing the top of my head.

                The twins and Lisa were exactly like the siblings I never had before.

                After dinner, I tried ducking out of the dining room before I was told to help with clean up. It was unsuccessful. I grumbled the entire way to the kitchen, my arms full of dirty dishes. Again, the guys were able to watch football.

                It was still fairly warm outside, even though it was November. I only needed to wear a sweatshirt to stay warm. The guys were in tshirts and shorts, crazy guys.

                Lisa, Pa and I were on one team, and Luke, Tim and Tom were on the other. Pa would play quarter back for our team, and it was up to Lisa and I to catch it.

                Pa threw the ball, and I jumped to catch it. The weight of the ball hit me in the chest, ouch, and I wrapped my arms around it, gripping it tight before running down the lawn. I ran as fast as my short legs could take me. I saw Pa take down Tim, Lisa was chasing after Tom. I could hear Luke behind me.

                I hit the ground with a thud, the wind knocked out of me. I was momentarily stunned. Luke had tackled me, and his large body was on top of me.

                “Shit,” Luke said. “Are you okay Sophie?” He slid off of me and knealt beside me.

                I can so use this to my advantage! I started to cry, or hoped that it looked like I was crying. “Ow, Luke! That really hurt!” I cried out.

                Before I knew it, the twins were there and pulling Luke up and yelling at him. A perfect distraction! I got up and gripped the ball tighter to my chest and started sprinting down the lawn for a touchdown. I heard the guys yelling behind me, but I had to much of a head start for them to catch up to me.

                I crossed the designated touchdown line, and started jumping up and down excitedly. Lisa ran up and hugged me, jumping a long with me. The guys ran up and tackled us to the ground, telling me I cheated.

                We played until the sun was set. We all went inside and ate dessert.

                Later that night in bed, I reflected happily on the day. I had never had a Thanksgiving like this before. I felt wanted here, like I was actually loved. I fell asleep with a big smile on my face, even more determined to forget my previous life.

                Lukes POV

                Rolling over in my bed for about the millionth time, I sighed. I couldn’t sleep. The day kept replaying in my head. It was, by far, the best Thanksgiving ever.

                When I tackled Sophie, I was momentarily distracted by house good it felt to have her small body under mine. It felt right, as silly as that sounds. I know I shouldn’t have those thoughts about her, she is a young girl and my friends little sister.

                Maybe these feelings for her will go away. I mean, I am only fifteen. I will outgrow them, right?