1

Riley's P.O.V
As I walk to the villi age square,I feel a small hand slip into mine, as I look down I see my little sister Laya, her eyes staring at my face like a lost dog.

This is what happens every reaping, we get split into age groups, Laya only two groups from my left , then this crazy lady with a huge pink wig steps up onto the stage ,standing just behind two large containers filled with the names of every 12-18 year old in district, one container holds the boys fate and the other , the girls.

As we all shuffle into the square I'm split up from Laya and put into the cluster filled with 17 year olds, I catch a sight of Laya in a group of 13 year olds, this is her second reaping, it's my fifth, luckily I've never been picked because I wouldn't survive two minutes in the area. Just as I was about to wave at my sister, the crazy lady taps on the microphone signalling for us to be quiet. Everyone's eyes are glued to the stage as she reaches her hand into the girls container, she reaches right to the bottom and pulls out a small folded piece of paper, as she carefully unfolds it I can feel my heart beating in my mouth, her lips move and form the words 'Laya Raymond', my heart literally stops for what seems like hours but in reality is only three seconds, without thinking I suddenly run to the front " I volunteer, I volunteer as tribute", I shout as loud a as my little lungs can manage, as I slowly walk up the steps I can feel thousands of eyes burn through my skull, out of the corner of my right eye I can see Laya clinging onto my mum, tears in her eyes.

The 'lady' starts to speak about something but my mind isn't interested in what she's saying, as I focus my eyes I see that she's got her hand in the boys container, before I can think about who it could be Kate, well I think that's her name, but I wouldn't be able to notice as she had a new wig, speaks into the microphone and calls the name " James Tordjman" , I know him, he's in my year at school, the bakers son, in fact he has three brothers two older one younger, Laya's friends with the youngest,Noah, I see him emerge from the crowd of people and walk up the steps onto the stage, putting on a brave face, but inside I know he's thinking the same thing as me.

Kate rambles on about something but my eyes are just staring into James' .
"and may the odds be ever in your favour"
Were ushered off the stage and into a grand building, I hear the adults in the room mutter something under their breath, but I can't make it out. I sit down on the velvet sofa and wait for something to happen, as I turn around I see James' family standing next to mine, well my mum and my sister, that's all that's left of it, I walk into a small meeting room, Laya closely behind , I hug them both and then Laya whispers something into my ear " Win, win for me". I know I can't promise her that but i have to try. There both quickly escorted out the building followed by James' family.

Is this really happening, am I really going to be a tribute , a piece of their little games, The Hunger Games...