The Beginning

The Fall Site

•••

          The girl opened her eyes. The ground around her was in flames, the fire blazing, like it was never going to go out. The air smelled of death and sulfur. Grey ash filled the dirt around her, and smoke from the fire seemed to rise up in the air for forever. She looked up at the reddish-black sky, to see a black opening just cut from the sky, like a portal to- well, the girl didn't exactly know what.
          In fact, the girl didn't know anything. She didn't know where she was, what was happening, or who she was. She was lost.
          Then, from the portal opened in the sky, stars started to twinkle in the inky blackness. The stars seemed to get bigger and bigger like they were falling down to the ground.
          Wait- the girl thought. Those weren't stars. Those were people. People falling from... from Heaven? Her skin started to warm at the thought of that. Why did that thought just come to her mind? She did not know.
          She watched as the first person hit the ashen ground, a terrifying crunch that made the girl scream. Then another person hit the ground, and another, and another, and they didn't stop. Each time, it sounded like every organ, every muscle, every bone in their body, was shattered to pieces.
          What was going on? The girl stood there in the blazing fire pit, letting the world reeked of death and smoke take her over, utterly confused and horrified.
          That's when out of nowhere, an enormous boulder came flying her way, landing right on her shoulder. She hears the crunch of her bone breaking, and she screams with agony, looking down at the remains of her shoulder. She watched as a dark, rich stream of blood flows like a river straight out of her body, and her bones were crushed to pieces. I am dying, she thought, I will be no more. Tears came spilling out as she screams and writhes in pain, crying for help.
          More people were falling from the sky, and she cried for help, but no one came. No one came until-
          "Lucinda?" A voice calls.
          The girl looks up at the man who had spoken. Why did he call her that? However, after taking one look at him immediately it seemed like the hell that was going on around them had ceased. His skin glowed, his muscular build was glorious. He was beautiful, striking, and his violet eyes- she recognized them from somewhere. They were magnificent, but she sensed heartbreak and sadness within him.
          Then she saw- he had wings. Angel wings.
          A searing heat blazed through her whole body, as a memory flashed before her eyes.
          "I choose love."
          "She may never pass out of adolescence. She will die at the exact moment when she remembers your choice."
          Recognition flashed before her own eyes. Daniel, she thought, that's my Daniel, and I am Lucinda. I love him. I'm an angel.
          She remembered who she was. The curse, she thought, as the most intense heat, and excruciating pain scorched her heart. She screams, she was dying, she was burning up. She cries out in pain, feeling her skin boil, knowing that she had only seconds left.
          "No!" Daniel screams, reaching for Lucinda. He panics, seeming to remember the curse too.
          But it was too late. She was gone, only but a mere pile of grey ash on the death-filled earth.

•••