1994

We went a lot of places together. Zipping through the desert on the back of his motorcycle was a lot of fun once I got over the dry heat. It was worth it to see that gorgeous smile he had.
I don't think either of is tried, but some things are inevitable. A romance had sprouted and we'd grown closer emotionally and physically as the weeks went by. I'm pretty sure I realized I was in love when he woke me up one morning in Phoenix.
     He was playing his guitar and singing 'Maggie May' by Rod Stewart. If you've never heard the song, go listen to it. It's a sweet song. At the time, though, it was so ironic and funny.
     Even now I remember his messy hair and the grin on his face when he sang the opening line, "Wake up, Maggie, I think I've got something to say to you."
He serenaded me as I curled up in the covers and stretched. When I finally sat up, he was sitting on the bed next to me with his guitar, still singing.
I knew at that point that I loved him. In hindsight, I guess that song would have been him telling me his feelings, too.
I remember finishing the song with him. I remember curling up with him again after that, and just laying there. I remember wishing it could always be like that.
     It was only a few months later, when I found out the truth, that it all ended. God, it was so embarrassing. I was furious and heartbroken at once, and on top of that I didn't want anyone to see. Least of all, her. His wife.
     I met her by accident, as it were, on the last day.