Secret Garden (One Direction Fan Fiction)

"You still don't have to go." I whisper, sucking my hair as it swirls around my face in the harsh wind. My brother has on his Afghanistan camouflage, clutching his helmet by his side as though its his life. Which he is about to destroy.

"Please don't go." I beg again to my older brother. I'm sixteen whereas he is nineteen. He looks at me with pursed lips, a look of distain clear on his face, his mouth upturned- not in a smile, in a sorta disappointment.

"Stop making him believe that what he's doing is for the worst, darling. I'm so proud of you, Thomas." Mum smiles, a wry and bewildered smile. A smile out of sync. She clutches my hand and stares up at me, as she is very small.

"Can I talk to you for a second, Bailey?" Thomas asks. I stare up at my brother shyly, and nod slightly, past the stage of biting back the tears. They run down my cheeks swiftly, falling into the dirt. He walks off and waves for me to follow. I jog lightly to keep up. He stops a bit further on and looks straight on at me. I pant heavily and run back and forth on the spot. He doesn't even pant slightly.

"Look. Being let into this world is a gift. I want to pay back. I want to make a difference, an imprint. That doesn't mean being remembered but helping people. I need to help. I live. I die. Or, I live. I help. I save lives. I die. Okay, I die maybe a bit quicker than usual but it's gonna come sometime." He speeches. I sob at his magic words.

"You're just gonna leave us then." I state bleakly. He shakes his head.

"No. I'll always be with you in your heart. Do me proud sis'." He laughs. I shake my head at him.

"I can't believe you! I need you! Mum needs you! Dad left us- he promised he'd come back, just like you have. Where is dad now? HE NEVER CAME BACK!" I scream. The car waiting for Thomas honks his horns. His jaw hardens.

"Well..well.. That's n-not my fault.." He musters, then walks away. I run after him, flapping my hands in the air.

"What? What?!" I yell at him. He nods slowly and gets to the car. I stand frozen in shock for a second.

"You're... You're dead to me." I cry, then turn around and walk to the garden. Mum starts shouting at me angrily, while waving goodbye to Thomas. But I hear no words, just sounds, like a really fast rap. You know they are words, but it's too fast for you to hear. I walk to the end of the garden and duck behind a thorn bush. It pricks my arms, blood falling from it, but I just push past it. I sit up on the fence separating us and the neighbours garden. I found it when i was seven and exploring. Nobody knows where it is, not even Molly my best friend. I like that its a sort of a secret garden I have. A very cheap and small version- like everything in my life. There are new neighbours, and they moved in today. I peek my head so hopefully I can see them. I think it's an old couple, because the houses here are quite expensive, well the next house anyway. It's a three storey flat, with a huge garden- I would love to play hide and seek in there, and a large swimming pool with a jacuzzi right beside it. Our version is a wooden swing. The lights are on so i crane my neck. A bit further until.. Ouch! I fall off of the fence into the neighbours garden. I slam into a crop of overgrown grass and weeds. I hear a burst of manly laughter. I huff and try to get up. Instead I fall back down. The laughing gets closer as my cheeks go bright red. A pair of musly arms pick me up as I squirm.

"I can get up myself!" I moan. I cross my arms and blow out a breath to move away a strand of hair on my face. They laugh.

"I said- that tickles!!" He starts tickling me and I burst into laughter. I I squeal and try to get out of his hold. Finally he puts me on the ground.

"That.. W-was not.. Funny!" I finish, catching my breath. I see the person who tickled me and helped me up is a guy with cropped hair, very, very muscly.