In the beginning

It all started a long time ago, 1883 to be exact, when Queen Victoria was on the throne. Matilda Baker, a 22 year old woman, was working for Lady Stephanie Powell, the mother of 1 year old Benjamin Powell. They lived in the most beautiful mansion you have ever laid eyes apon. It had cream quartz walls, a smooth marble floor and all around the edge were small ferns and other stunning flowers. Lady Stephanie was most proud of her vast range of roses. There were red ones, pink ones, yellow ones, white ones and most beautiful of all, her lilac ones. I know you are probably thinking 'what, but that's impossible!' That's the great thing about it, Matilda Baker was the sort of woman who could make the impossible, possible! She could fly, she could do chores with just the click of her finger, she could move things without touching them and all sorts else! This is one of the reasons why Lady Stephanie liked so much. She liked her because she was different, because she was unique, because she was magic, because Matilda Baker was a witch!

One summers day, Matilda went into labour. Twenty full hours later Matilda had a small girl. But Matilda was ill and sadly died in child birth. She asked Lady Stephanie to take care of her little baby girl And to keep her safe if she didn't survive. The child had lips as red as the roses, hair as blonde as the yellow rose, skin as white as the white rose and her small eyes were indigo, a bit like the lilac rose. Stephanie thought it would be sweet if the girl was called Rosalinda. So, Stephanie took care of her as her own, it wasn't to hard because, as she was so rich, she just hired a nanny to take care of Rosalinda and her son Benjamin. They never told Rosie about her powers, her gift and not even her Mother. Lady Stephanie thought that it would be better for her not to know, she thought it would keep her out of trouble. Well, needless to say Lady Stephanie Powell was very, very wrong indeed!

Just over thirteen years had passed and Rosalinda was beginning to become suspicious. Lady Stephanie had jet black hair and so did Ben. Rosie had also seen pictures of Mr Powell and saw he had Brown hair. And, Rosie knew that he had died in 1882, the year before she was born and the year that Ben was. Rosie knew perfectly well by now she was not Lady Stephanie's daughter. And now more than ever she wanted to know who her true family were. Strange things had started happening to her and she was beginning to suspect things. She could make bad things happen to people who were mean to her, she could make things explode or brake when she felt angry, the weather would change depending on what she was feeling and she could move things without touching them! One day she plucked up the courage to ask Stephanie. 'Mother, all the strange things that are happening, why are they only happening to me' Rosie asked, 'I just feel...um.... different to you and ........I'm ..... um....' Rosie wasn't sure how to say it but Stephanie knew what was coming. 'Oh, Rosie I know that you feel unique but so dose everyone. Your mother Martha was much the same.' Stephanie replied. Then, quickly she clamped her hand over her mouth. She mentioned her mother's name. Stephanie hoped Rosie never heard what she said, but she did. 'I knew it, your not my mother, who is Martha, who are you?' Rosie cried feeling so sad, confused and bewildered all at once. 'So I was right, I am different, but that doesn't explain everything!' Rosalinda thought.