New Girl

Chapter 1

The sound of my alarm clock beeping woke me up almost immediately. It was 6am, great. The feelings of dread and fear took over as I realised today was the day. I didn’t see how it could be any different; the same story all over again. It’s happened for 9 years now, since I was 7 years old when my dad died.  I would settle in, make new friends and then with no warning we would have to move. That’s how it worked, and I was pretty damaged too.

I dragged myself out of bed and I had to prepare myself to look as presentable as possible. I walked over to the shower and got in. I tilted my head back under the powerful water and washed my hair. When I got out, I dried my curly, long blonde hair and left it natural. I applied some makeup, but it didn’t really make much of a difference. I looked a mess but I didn’t really care. All I wanted was to just stay in one place for the first time in my life.

The uniform wasn’t all that bad. I had a grey pinafore and a white blouse to match, along with a tie. I sat on my bed and put on my shoes. This was it. I picked up my school bag and trudged down the stairs, where I was greeted by my mum who had a small smile on her face as she took my hand, trying to encourage me. I quickly pulled away and shrugged her off.

“All ready?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be” I replied bitterly.

“Let me take you today, yeah?” She was slurring her words.

“Um, no offence mum but I don’t want anyone to see you, especially in a state like that. You’re hardly fit to drive anyway. I’m gonna be late, cya later”, and with that I left the flat, which was more like a dump.

The cool breeze was nice. Well, anything was nicer than the stuffy flat. The wind was blowing through my hair and somehow I felt free. I hadn’t felt like this in a long time. It was beautiful all around me. Of all the places I had lived, Mullingar was definitely the nicest. And the accents were perfect too, unlike mine. I knew I would be completely different to any of the others today.

As I got closer to the school, I quickly became more frightened. What if no one liked me? What if I didn’t fit in? All these thoughts were whirling around my mind, and I didn’t even realise that I was here. There were excited younger kids who were running about, which I assumed was their first day of secondary school. I wish I was like that now, but I had too many worries. There were people my age too, who were glaring at me. I wish I could read what was going through their minds.

I pulled my bag nervously onto my shoulder more, and walked through the door. The bell had just gone but I had no idea where I was going or what lesson I had. I slowly looked around whilst continuing to walk, trying to figure out if this was a nice school or not. People were running past me and knocking me. I figured it was just because I was new. I was too deep into my thoughts, and I didn’t even look where I was going. I was daydreaming when all of a sudden I was knocked back so far that I fell over, and all my books fell out of my bag.

“Watch where you’re going you bitch” I heard a voice say from above me, and then everyone laughed.

I looked up and saw someone stood there, who looked gorgeous. He had blonde hair that was perfectly quiffed, and I could see some brown roots coming through. He had ocean blue eyes that were perfectly complimented by his long eyelashes. He had a few freckles which I thought were cute, and his lips were pressed together. I realised that I was staring at him and had to put it out of my mind. I quickly gathered my books together and placed them in my bag and then got up.

“Um, I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. I mean-” I was quickly cut off by him sniggering.

“Well, new girl, you better be sorry” he sneered and walked off, quickly followed by a gang of people who seemed to worship his every move. Wow, what an absolute asshole, even though he was gorgeous. Still, I didn’t even know his name and I already hated him and had made an enemy. What a great fresh start.