Chapter 15- You're Kinda Feisty

Hensley's Point of View

“Are you busy this weekend?” Finley randomly asks me a few days later as the two of us walk hand-in-hand down the crowded school corridor together, heading towards the cafeteria for lunch.

“I don’t think that I’m gonna be busy for any weekends anytime soon, actually,” I mumble with a small sigh, using my free hand to sleepily run my fingers through my hair. I was in such a rush this morning to get away from my house and away from my stupid father, so I didn’t have time to brush it or even do anything to it before I left, so I’m slightly positive it looks like crap.

“What does that mean?” Finley queries, glancing down at me with a curious look on his face.

“Just that I’m grounded,” I report. “Indefinitely,” I add with a loud and dramatic sigh.

“You’re being very sigh-y today,” My boyfriend informs me with a chuckle, casually running his thumb across the back of my hand that’s interlaced with his. “What’d you do to get grounded?”

“I didn’t do anything,” I huff, sighing yet again. “My dad just doesn’t like me, that’s all.”

“That’s a little bit dramatic, don’t you think, Hensley?” He asks me, raising his eyebrows.

“No, it isn’t dramatic at all,” I refute, shaking my head seriously. “He really does hate me, which I am completely and totally fine with because a) he’s never around anyways and b) I hate him just as much, if not more than he hates me, so it’s totally cool,” I explain.

“Is that why you won’t let me meet your family? Because you think your dad doesn’t like you?”

For the past few days, Finley has been expressing interest in meeting my family, which I obviously will not let happen. I’m actually refusing it. He says that he just wants to have dinner over at my house or maybe at a restaurant or something, which is pretty flattering—the fact that he wants to meet my psychotic family—but it’s also insane because what kind of guy actually wants to meet his girlfriend’s family? In my boyfriend’s defense though, I have met Kourtney and his dad and I did briefly meet his mom on the night of the homecoming dance when we were all over at her house taking the pictures and whatnot.

I don’t have a problem with Finley meeting my family—I really don’t—it’s just that I would rather put it off. Off until my dad decides to bail again. Not if he decides to bail again but when he decides to bail again because that’s just what he does—he bails. I’ve grown accustomed to it and I’ve learned to accept it. He’s really the only problem though, once he’s gone, I’ll absolutely let Finley meet my mom. I mean, sure she’s probably going to be really awful and noisy and interrogate him but other than that, she isn’t too bad.

“No, that’s not it—I won’t let you meet my family because my siblings are super annoying and my mom is incredibly invasive and my dad is a jerk,” I inform him as we walk into the cafeteria and head towards the lunch line. Usually, whenever we get to the cafeteria, we just sit down at our normal table and let the line die down some so that we don’t have to stand there in the line forever but I can see that Waverly (and Oliver) are already sitting at the table together, talking and eating. I’m already in a bad mood for the thing with my dad this morning and I’m definitely not up for sitting with Finley’s stupid sister while she blatantly insults me.

“Hensley, is there something you wanna tell me?” He asks, looking down at me suspiciously.

“Something like what, Finley?” I tiredly reply, wishing this dumb day would just end already.