Daddy's Mine

He gave me that look he didn't give anybody else. I smiled at him, a sort of small secretive type of smile. I continued filling out all the forms.

     Today was my very first senior day at my new school. It felt like a completely different life. I liked it. A new state, a new town, new house, new friends, and a new dad. For the first time in years things were looking up for my mother and I.

     He called to collect the forms. Someone tapped my shoulder. I grabbed the forms out of their hand as they welcomed me. I thank them and turn foreword. I put my form with the others and pass them to the guy in front of me. He repeats the process and gives the forms to the guy in front of him.

Mr. Francis collects them and walks over to his desk. The room explodes in voices and laughter after all morning announcements are done. That is our cue after all. I introduce myself to the people around me, more like they hassled me into introducing myself.

     Casey Thomspon, I mean Casey Francis. My step-father adopted me so I have a new last name.

     I met a couple people I like. A girl with pink hair named Amy. Everyone calls her Army because she is usually wearing camouflage. Her dad is a general I think. Next was a guy named Ricky, or Rick. He was gay and 'secretly' dating one of the football linebackers. They were the coolest people so far. They took the initiative of looking through my schedule and finding our common classes, which happen to be all of them.

     A phone rang in the room, everyone instantly got riled up. No phones allowed during school hours, school rules dictate. I wanted to know what poor sap was going to get their phone taken away. I wanted to laugh. But I knew that ring tone. Most of the time I wanted to strangle that rang tone.

     Mr. Francis excused himself and answered the phone. He whispered some things into the phone and returned to the class. The students made some remarks and jokes about taking his phone away. Mr. Francis joked with them. His bright charming smile and dimples making the girls go crazy. I saw his eyes flicker at me and linger far longer then they should have.

     As the class settled down Mr. Francis announced he would like to talk to me after class. Everyone joked about me being in trouble. I laughed along with them because I knew the truth.

When the bell finally rang Army and Ricky said they would wait for me outside. Once the last person walked out and the door clicked behind them I walked over to "Mr. Francis".

     "What's up, Romeo?"

     He smiles. Pictures of falling autumn leaves flashed in my head and danced away. "I told you, it's Mr. Francis in school."

     "Ahuh, well 'Mr. Francis'," I put my fingers into quotations mocking him, "what can I do for you?"

He chuckled. The reds, yellows, and oranges of leaves in autumn flashed in my head again. "Your mom said she is going to be late tonight. So what do you want for dinner; pizza or burger?"

     "Uhh, burger. No wait, what are they having for lunch today?" I walk behind his desk and look at the purple paper with the lunch details on it.

     I can feel his body heat radiating off him behind me. It is almost too much. "Pizza for lunch so burgers for dinner."

     Autumn is such a beautiful season, very much underappreciated. "Alright, burgers it is."

     I groan. "I have to work out again tonight then. Junk food just sits in my thighs and stomach."

     "2am workout?" He asks reading me mind.