chapter three | clement guild | waterfall

I awoke to someone shaking me. "Wake up, L- ...Waterfall." I turned around and saw Lyra.

And the sudden realisation of what happened last night dawned on me. We don't have a place to live. We're homeless after we leave this place, I thought as I sat up and glanced at Akuma, who sat on the windowsill, waiting for the two of us to leave. Her eyes were focused on her feet. Light shone through the window, shadowing her face.

Before I could say anything, the door opened, and there stood Sienna, still in her pajamas. "Good morning," she greeted, "I- we- have something to talk to you two about." Sienna gestured for us to head outside.

"We?" I questioned as the four of us walked out of the guestroom, back to the guild's living room. The first thing I realised when we arrived was that there were people each sitting on an armchair- My stomach immediately started to churn in response. What did they want?

"Take a seat," said Sienna. I could feel multiple pairs of eyes being laid on Lyra and I as we sat down on a couch for two.

A few seconds of awkward silence passed, and it looked like Lyra was going to pass out from all the attention headed our way. Akuma just floated at my side, sucking on a pink lollipop, still choosing not to reveal herself. I looked away and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear, almost cringing.

All of a sudden, I felt a hand grip mine and being forcefully shaken. I looked up, and before me stood a boy with black hair and red eyes.

"My name's Kaito! Nice to meet you! What are your names? Want some candy?" the person who was shaking my hand frantically asked. Before I could say anything in response, five pieces of caramel candy were placed next to me and Lyra. I could feel the jealousy from lack of candy being emitted from Akuma without even looking at her.

"My name is Waterfall, and this is Lyra," I said, cocking my head towards Lyra.

"So I've heard! Well-" Kaito was cut off by the girl on his right. She looked like the twin version of Kaito. Black hair, red eyes.

"Well, I'm not sure why you two are still here, but obviously you all need to leave. You've only been offered a night's sleep here, and nothing else," she said, fixing us a stone cold glare. They may look alike, but their personalities are definitely not, I thought.

I felt a heavy pang of guilt sent to me. I looked down. "S-Sorry-"

"Not just yet. There's a reason to why I told the both of you to sit down here. That's Hikari, by the way. Cold as ice." said Sienna.

"Well then, get on with it. I'm getting impatient." I turned my head towards the voice and saw a blue-haired boy, impatience written all over his face as he tapped his foot.

Sienna pursed her lips. "These two girls aren't just some normal civilians. They use magic. Specifically elemental magic." She paced around us.

"Which elemental magic?" Another voice asked. The curious girl had white hair and wore a black shirt as a contrast.

"Waterfall is a Water mage, and Lyra is an Earth mage."

"Whoa..." they all collectively gasped.

"About time we found some elementals," huffed a gray-haired boy.

"S-so... what are you guys thinking?" Lyra timidly asked.

Sienna glanced at the other guild members. They nodded. She nodded back.

"I'll cut to the chase. Would you like to join our guild?"

It took me a moment to register what Sienna just asked. Then it hit me. Well, it did provide shelter and food... Looking back at Lyra and Akuma, I could see the hope gleaming in their eyes.

I made my decision.

"Are you kidding?! Yes!"

Sienna's lips formed a gentle smile. The atmosphere in the room was cleared and filled with a more light-hearted one.

"Then, welcome to Clement Guild."