Singing

Staring at the ceiling is all Nico could do at the moment. He had just gotten home from school and his body hurt like heck. He had forgotten to do his homework, and boy did he pay for it. He was beaten to where it bruised, but not enough to cause damage. Hearing a knock at his door he sits up. 

        "Come in." He says in a strained voice. The person walks into his room and looks at him. 

        "You don't look too hot." His younger sister Hazel says while staring at him in concern.

        Rolling his eyes he retorts. "Wow, thank you, Hazel, I know that I'm not all that," he says while waving his arms to her body, "but, I know that I'm pretty decent looking."

       Crossing her arms and looking at him incredulously, Hazel stands her ground. "Where did you get those bruises?"

       Nico looks down, not saying anything. Hazel's eyes soften and she sits down beside him. "You know you can tell me anything, right?" She says softly while placing a hand on his shoulder. Shooting her a fake smile Nico nods, he was really tired and just wanted to sleep. Hazel, seemingly to get the message, pats his back before leaving. Nico lays back down and closes his eyes, slowly falling asleep. As he does so the song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" pops up in his head. He smiles softly and drifts off to a peaceful sleep.

*The Next Day*

       Nico looks around nervously as he walks to school, he doesn't want to see him today. But, alas, fate was not on his side, for there he was. Octavian. Everyone knows him, he's the star quarterback, the most popular person in school. Before he could even turn around and escape, he was spotted. 

        "Hey, emo! Did you bring my homework this time?" Octavian asked rudely while grabbing the back of his shirt. Nico, scared of another beating, swiftly nodded his head. Octavian, satisfied with the answer, holds out his hand for said piece of paper. Wanting nothing more than to leave, Nico hurriedly takes out the paper and hands it to him. Octavian takes it and leaves without another word. Taking a breath of relief, Nico quickly leaves the area and heads to class. 

        In the middle of English class, the song "Young Blood" pops up in Nico's head. He softly starts to hum the tune to a song he has never heard of. Seemingly to have noticed what he is doing, Nico blushes and stops humming. Before he could see if anyone noticed him humming, the bell rang. Not wanting to stay longer, Nico leaves. School ends with no harm to his mental and physical health.

        On his way home from school, Nico stopped by a small farmers market. Looking around, he sees so many delicious-looking foods. He stops by a few venders, buying some ingredients for tonight's dinner. Nico looks around for a little while before heading home. As he's walking home he starts to sing quietly. Suddenly he stops. Stops singing, stops walking, he even stops breathing because even though he's not singing he still hears the song.