P R O L O G U E

"Mr.Moir, a word please?" The teacher's voice wavered as she spoke, and it didn't go unnoticed. Mr.Moir dismissed it anyways, it happened all the time. He followed the young woman into a colorful classroom. There were poorly drawn pictures all over the walls, small desks with small seats, and colorful walls. The teacher sat at her desk, and Mr.Moir stood before her. 

"Mr.Moir, I want to talk to you about your daughter, Ember." Mr.Moir was thoroughly surprised, wondering what his daughter had done. She had never really taken after him. "Has she done something wrong?" The woman before him shook her head, moving a strand of blonde hair from her face.

"No, not at all. It's just, she's had a bit of a problem making friends. She tries to talk to the other students, but they seem to be... pushing her away. During recess, the children run from her, screaming, saying that she is ah.... evil." Mr.Moir stayed stoned face as the woman before him laughed nervously. He took a step closer to the teacher's desk, dead silent, stoned faced, the only muscles me moved were his legs. The teacher went rigid, afraid of what her fate was. She had just offended a villain.

"My daughter," He said deadly calm, "Is not evil. Do you understand me?" His ice blue eyes were boring into the teacher as she slowly nodded.

"O-of course, Mr.M-moir" 

Mr.Moir swiftly left the classroom, closing the door loudly behind him. He put on his biggest smile as he neared the small schoolhouse playground. Only one child sat there, swinging quietly on the swing. The child's long, jet-black hair blew with the light breeze, covering her face. Mr.Moir approached her carefully and sat on the swing next to her.

"Daddy?" The young girl's voice was quite, and quivered, on the brink of tears.

"Yes, Ember dear?" Mr.Moir was careful with his words, trying not to upset his lovely daughter more.

"Daddy, why does everyone hate me? I just want to make friends with them, but they all run away from me." The girl looked up at her father, her Electric blue eyes wet with tears. Her cheeks were rosy, along with her nose from the cool November air. Mr.Moir's eyes softened as he saw how incredibly broken his young daughter was.

"Oh honey, nobody hates you. Why would they? You're a lovely girl with a happy personality." Ember looked down at the ground once more, her hair covering her face.

"Daddy, the kids said you were evil. You're not evil, right?" Mr.Moirs heart broke at this statement. His daughter may have been clever, but she was so naive. He knew his daughter should know the truth, but he also knew that he was her role model. Frankly, he didn't want his daughter to be like him. He wanted her to be kind, and happy

"Of course I'm not evil." His voice was quiet, but his daughter heard. A silence came between father and daughter, both off in other worlds. Mr.Moir's mind was racing, thinking of ways to break the truth to his daughter. He wanted to tell Ember his true identity, the one she saw on TV every week, but he also didn't want to crush her spirit, and love for him. He'd never forgive himself if the only family he had hated him.

"I don't wanna go to school anymore Daddy." Mr.Moir sighed and got up from the swing where he sat. Ember looked up at the sudden movement and got up herself. She followed her father as he made his way to a black Honda.

"You have to go to school honey," He said as he walked ahead, "But I'll make a deal with you. If you go to school, I'll buy us some ice cream. I'll even buy you your own, whatever flavor you want. Deal?" He looked down hopefully at his daughter. She stayed quiet for a minute, but then a quiet 'Deal' was heard. Mr.Moir smiled and unlocked his car. He helped his daughter into her car seat and started up the car. He silently hoped his daughter wouldn't have to deal with these awful school children her whole life.

His prayers were not answered.