Prologe

In a small village, the people gathered in celebration for the upcoming festival. The women carried large baskets of produce from their gardens down the dirt roads leading to the festivities. Above the roads connecting house to house hung paper lanterns, each one depicting a different animal. Meanwhile, children played in masks made to look like deer, tropical birds, and wolves. No child usually chose to make a jellyfish mask, so they made a tiger shark counterpart instead. In front of a large, ornate building with colorful windows and bricks were mighty oak trees covered by overgrown vines. And surrounding these large trees were many tables for the feast.

In the center of it all stood a large statue that represented the reason for the festival. The statue was of a human-deer hybrid; with deer legs, hooves, and antlers, but a human torso, arms, and hands. However, the face was a blend of both deer and human features. She wore a leather pouch around her waist that rested at her side and a chest plate made of vines, with banana leaves folding down the back like wings. In her hand she held a shepherds crook, with two tails bound around the base of the curl. She was the god that the people of the village venerated the most. Of course, the people worshipped and honored the three other gods as well. But in the eyes of the villagers, she was the one most worthy of praise.

It was dark by the time the preparations were completed. All the food was gathered, the decorations out, and the whole village was seated at the tables outside the church-like building. Even the children were somehow calmed down by their tired mothers so that everything was quiet except for the clinking of a fork against a glass.

The lord of the village was at the highest seat, closest to the statue. Dressed in ceremonial robes of white with green vine-like accents, he looked more than pleased to lead the village in another prosperous year. He raised his drink in another toast to the wonderful entity that had blessed them with health and good fortune. During his speech, he revealed a new addition to the statue; a pure gold plaque with the name Sunitha engraved onto it. On the outskirts of the town, a hoofed figure smiled at the sight of villagers' delight. The mysterious figure turned and took her leave through the forest. She never made her presence known, leaving behind only a gift of exotic seeds wrapped in large leaves and tied with vines.