Chapter 5 - Those Grim Eyes of Yours

Chapter 5 ● Those Grim Eyes of Yours  

I felt like an imbecile, just standing there, honestly. What could I possibly have to profit from actually listening to this woman’s tale, and actually following her directions to this place, this bar?

I tilted my head back looking up shrewdly at the bar in front of me. There was a small door at the front corner, it was made out of a red wood, chipped, in need of some repainting, but then … the whole neighborhood could do with a little care.

There was a sign above it, barely legible but there, in a dull yellow color nonetheless. It read ‘Lucky's’ in bold letters.

I glanced back at the two spirits floating behind me; Maria the ghost who had sought me out because of my ability to see, was just a few feet behind, biting nervously on her lower lip, wringing her hands in her lap.  

Grayden, was beside her, studying the building in front of us as well, with those dark, cloudy eyes of his. He caught me looking, to my embarrassment, his eyes darting to meet mine unexpectedly. I quickly looked away back to Maria, my cheeks reddening slightly.

I hated when he could tell I was looking at him.

“This is the place right?” I asked, pointing at the bar door, but looking toward Maria.

She nodded nimbly, pursing her lips. “Yes, they live in the backroom.” She informed us glumly.

My eyes widened slightly, “Wait … he lives with her right? Her … boyfriend?” I asked cautiously, studying Maria’s face.

Her expression hardened, her lips unraveling. “Yes, I left the bar to them, but not in this state. It’s been a year since I’ve passed.”

She paused, sighing, her eyes drawing to the ground. “It was the gravest mistake I made, believing him when he said he’d take care of my daughter, that he would take over the bar and keep up our reputation.”

I tilted my head, confused. “Wait, didn’t he do that?”

She shook her head wearily.

“No, he was a liar, through and through. He waited until I passed away after my husband and then his true face showed.”

I felt a jolt of shock, when I realized that Maria was beginning to cry. Her shoulders rising jerkily with her somber emotions.

Grayden lurched uncertainly in the air, straightening up and looking at Maria, he seemed uncomfortable.

I stepped toward her, turning my back to the bar door.

My heart, inside, decreased in size, minimizing as I watched the deceased woman in front of me. I felt for her, truly, and maybe it was selfish to say, that I only really cared because she reminded me of my own mother … but still, I wanted to help her, no matter the cost.

“I can’t take it any longer, I want to move on, but I can’t stand to leave my daughter to this mess!”

She blurted out, sobbing.

“If only … I had noticed his true nature when I was still alive, maybe … I could have been still alive until now, and my daughter wouldn’t be alone with him.”

She covered her face with her hands, muffling her cries.

I blinked, something passing through my thoughts.

“Wait a moment, if you noticed his true nature you would still be alive? What does that mean-” I stopped myself, my pupils widening in shock, as my mind rushed.