Dear Allie,

//I really like this one\\
My Dear Allie,
Who could have foreseen the fate that awaited that girl? How could anyone predict that those pudgy pink cheeks and blue-marble eyes could give way to such corruption?  Years ago, her mother would kiss her, before going off to work and remind her to be safe at school.  The mischief that filled that child was unprecedented; but, it was purely innocent.  She frequently captured wild lizards and kept them as pets or hid high in trees, where she would shriek when unsuspecting neighbors passed by.  Her mother believed her to be the most beautiful little girl in the entire world.  It seemed like things would stay that way forever.  The world they lived in was a buoyant one, filled with pastel-colors and the smell of cinnamon.  Of course, they hit a few bumps along the way.  Things weren't always perfect.  But there were no signs, at least in her memory, which gave any indication of the impending troubles that were to come, no clear explanation as to why the girl with the pigtails and the turned-up nose would begin to consider submitting to the most nefarious temptations of society.  If there had been, her mother would have done everything within her will to prevent it, as she would explain one day to the prison psychologist.

"Ma'am, this is your daughter's third time in prison.  She's been charged and convicted with theft, possession of heroin, and prostitution.  She hasn't even reached her twenty-first birthday.  At some point in her life there must have been an impetus of some sort.  Can you think of anything, Mrs. Sherwood?"

She thought for a moment and then slowly shook her head.

"Honestly, if you think I have not already searched through every memory of every millisecond of every day of every year to find that answer... you are completely mistaken.  I have spent my life working night and day so that I could provide for my daughter.  I gave her nothing but the best.  Books, toys, clothes, animals, I enrolled her in a premier prep school, a house in a safe, upscale neighborhood, soccer practices, girl scouts, horseback riding lessons, summer camps..." her voice drifted off as she pulled some tissues out of her purse.  Regaining her composure, she looked the psychologist in the eye and with an air of desperation asked: "Where did I go wrong? I gave her everything.  And still, I failed. "

"I hear what you are saying," responded the psychologist.  "I can't help but wonder if maybe she didn't want any of that, and that maybe...all she wanted was... you."

External image
Cc:Myfavoriteredhead from Tumblr