Lost

"Elsa!?" My sister was afraid. I was too. My mother had just walked out the door, on my 18th birthday. She said I can take care of myself and Ana on my own and handed me keys to a new car and 2 necklaces. She pecked me on the cheek and then made a scene. My mother had always been over dramatic. My dad had ran out 2 months ago they couldn't take it anymore, they couldn't handle us. "Yes, Ana?" I say softly. "Will we be okay?" That was a question I had no answer too, I didn't want to lie to my sister. "I can take care of you Ana don't worry, here lets go up to bed." Ana and I walked up the stairs and into her bedroom in the west wing, I sang her to sleep. I sang her favorite song Deep in the Meadow. When she fell asleep I kissed her on the cheek and gave her the necklace mother gave me to give to her. I walked out and went into mom and dad's old room. They didn't take much of anything, they were always rich though, they took little suitcases and bought what they needed when they needed it. I took my mothers little bottle of sweet gardenia perfume that reminded me of her and my father's T-shirt. It was big on me, down to my knees but I still loved it. I crept back into Ana's room and lye down beside her thinking of how rough of an 18th birthday I had just had as I fell into a peaceful, dreamless sleep.

I woke up early and put on skinny jeans, my cowboy boots, and my fathers coat and went to the market to buy some food for Ana and I. I got a weeks worth of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's when I decided that I needed to tell Ana why mom and dad couldn't take care of us anymore. I put all the groceries in the car and headed home. Once I got home I put the groceries away and went upstairs to where Ana was doing her homework. I sat down next to her and looked at her. She had grown up so much in the past few years it was unbelievable. "Do you know why mom and dad ran away?" I asked her. "No Elsa I don't want to talk about them right now." "Ana you need to know the truth" I say in a harsher tone. "We're witches Ana..." I sat there for a while and let that sink in. "what do you mean?!" she was confused. "We come from a very powerful bloodline, the Weighmenhart family." I explain. "And.... who are they?" She never was one for history I suppose. "They broke the doppelganger curse, now nobody can ever look like anybody else, except every 1,000 years there is 1 doppelganger in the world born over and over again."