A Dark and Stormy Night

I press my face against the screen door. Lightning flashes in the distance illuminating the dark sky. I can hear the pitter patter of the rain dribbling down from the sky. A silver van pulls into the short driveway. The van's lights penetrate the blackness. Inside the car is my mother who has come to pick me up. I pull on my fuzzy warm coat that has been nicknamed "the deer coa" because its shade of brown looks kind of like a deer's. It feels so soft and warm. I turn around and face the room of boys that Cynder invited to his birthday party and I say goodbye to them. Then I hug Cynder and walk out into cold rain.

I hop into the car, slamming the door behind me and pull my seat belt over me. My little sister Katie is in the backseat. My mom pulls out of the driveway. I look up my next destination on the GPS- another friend's house. It displays 55 minutes, which means I am not going to get there at 7:30 like I told my friend.

As we drive along, the rain comes down heavier and heavier. The rain pounds against the cars like a million tiny hands that are all punching it at the same time. The windshield wipers swipe back and forth, desperately trying to wipe away the rain. I can hardly see the road in front of me. The darkness and the rain pouring down make it nearly impossible to see.

Not very far down the road, my mom has to pull over. A car ahead of us has also stopped; its' hazards blink. We sit there in silence until my mother says, "It's raining harder than during a hurricane." That's how bad it is. Eventually, even though the rain doesn't lessen at all, my mother pulls back onto the road. It is too late to turn back.

Lightning lights up the night sky and I shiver. My heart beats fast as my mom navigates the treacherous roads. We reach a part of the road with deep puddles. The water splashes up on the sides of the cars. Lightning strikes again but I hear no thunder. It lights up the whole sky for an instant

Right now I wish I was at home cuddled up in a pile of blankets drinking warm apple cider with a good book to read. Maybe even a plate of warm and sweet chocolate chip cookies beside me. Or even better, that I was already at my friend's house, hanging out with my friends and watching a movie or something.

My mom's voice snaps me out of my daydreams. "How much longer?" she asks. I pick up her phone and look at the GPS on the screen. "Twenty minutes" I reply. "Okay, I can go 20 more minutes." The rain lessens as we drive along.

Finally we reach my friend's road. We pull down her long driveway. The warm glow of her porch light welcomes us. My mother parks. I hear a door slam shut. I see my friend's mom in the distance and their dog Casper. I grab my stuff out of the van and rush towards the safety of the house. I move to the side to avoid the sticky brown mud that makes up the ground in front of the house and walk into their house.

I sigh in relief as I enter the house. We made it. I look around for my friends but they are nowhere in sight. A long wooden table is in front of me. To the left is the kitchen. To the right is some sort of living room or family room. I spot my friends and smile.