27: The Land in Between

Chapter Twenty Seven

For Hal, tomorrow came when he woke up, be it at the crack of dawn or several hours past noon. So as his friends lay asleep in their respective beds, Hal couldn't bring himself to enter the realm of slumber. For when tomorrow arrived, he would be returning to his village.

Back to hunting, back to thieving. And even that would be lost since he now had the gold to pay for all the expenses. What am I going to do with my days now?

Hal flipped himself over, finding Arthur under the covers in the bed a few meters from him. For the first time, Hal wasn't a solitary hunter watching out for his back and his back alone. He had found people who would be willing to fight alongside him, and that brought with it a blissful feeling of belonging. He didn't want to leave.

Maybe I can convince Jack let me stay. But stay for what, exactly? Hal's thoughts stretched back to when Jack approached him and the reserved gaze in his eyes. If Hal could get him to spill his guts, find out what larger mission the boy had in mind, he could come to solid decision on whether or not to stick around.

Blankets shuffled behind him, and Hal dropped his eyes, straining his ears. Soft footsteps thumped against the wooden planks of the inn. Barely cracking open an eye, Hal saw Jack moving the spools of thread to his satchel, the same satchel Hal had tried to steal all those weeks ago. Now Hal was glad he didn't.

The floor groaned once and Jack stilled, Hal closing his eyes again. The door opened, striking one thought in Hal's mind. What is he up to?

It seemed that he wasn't the only one. Hal was about to push himself out of bed when mere seconds later, the Crimson Cape rose from her mattress. She quickly made her way out the window and then onto the rooftops. To follow Jack, no doubt.

And so it was just Hal and Arthur left at the Bearskin Inn. Forget silence. Hal threw the covers off himself, walking over to Arthur's bed, where the boy's own satchel hung from the bedpost. Hal poked Arthur's shoulder. When that provoked no response, Hal tried a light shake.

"Go away," the boy mumbled.

"Everyone else already has."

"What?" Arthur's sky-blue eyes lit up in the dark. Sitting up, he looked left and right, noticing the otherwise empty room. "Where are Jack and Cerise?"

"His Royal Highness left. His bodyguard seems to be secretly following them. Any idea where they're going?"

After a few sleepy blinks, Arthur shook his head. He flopped back onto the pillows.

"Aren't you going to go after them?" Hal prodded. No answer. That wasn't going to stop Hal from finding a few of his own. He made his steps clear as Hal walked back to his bed to put on his boots, jiggling his quiver as he swung it over his back.

Arthur pulled the blankets over his head. "If you're going to go, go."

Hal drew a distance Cipher on his arm. "Suit yourself."

Arthur lowered the sheets. "You're not trying to convince me to come with? Jack does it all the time."

"Nah," said Hal, putting a foot on the window sill. "You can stay here. Alone. Enjoy the peace and quiet."

"Really?"

"Definitely. I mean, someone has to keep Bloodbeard Bones company in case he decides to show up."

Arthur sprung out of bed. He grabbed his satchel from the bed post and thirty seconds later, was trembling in front of the window with his saber strapped onto his belt. Before heading out into the night, Hal gave his friend a small hug around the shoulders for encouragement. It didn't seem to have done Arthur much good.