NURSING THE CHIPS

CH.1

Dreaming never actually lends itself to good fortune...Does it? Maybe just occasionally, day dreaming can reach dreams so farfetched that they become reality. Never thinking that a family holiday for one person could lead to a whole new career and life elsewhere for someone else.

"How can we work this out?" sighed the Unit manager when the surgeons announced an emergency surgery late one Saturday night. "Ana, can you cover? I know I was going to let you away early given that you brought the emergency in..."

"The wife wishes to speak with Ana and has requested that she looks after Robert, given as it was her fast actions that saved him so far," smiled the consultant as he turned to Ana.

"Does she know that I work here?" stammered Ana, "I didn't tell her I worked in this department..."

"Well, she knows that you're a nurse and she wants you to look after her husband. I think she's grateful for you being able to help," added the registrar surgeon.

"Okay, but I'll need to have someone else in the tag team, I can't live without sleep!" joked Ana.

"We'll sort out a team, so for now, you go home and get some rest. He'll not be through from surgery till the early hours so get some sleep," suggested the manager. Ana agreed.

That was two days ago, and Robert was now sitting up in bed about to have his surgical drains removed when Ana got the call from his son, Chris.

"When can he fly home?" asked the familiar voice. "He needs to get back to the States..."

"He'll only be able to fly when the surgeon is ready to release him. I can't give you a date at this time," replied Ana, kindly but the voice on the other end of the line was obviously upset over his father's ill health and wasn't happy with her response.

"That's BS! I need to know when he's getting home!" he snapped.

"Mr Pine, I need you to calm down and refrain from that language. I understand that this is not easy but your father is not ready for discharge now..."

"Is he giving you a hard time?" asked a gentle voice behind her. Ana turned to see the caller's mom at her side, "Let me talk to him." Ana handed over the phone and returned to her patient.

"Chris still upset?" asked Robert as she pulled the curtains around the bed to carry out a procedure.

"You could say that!" sighed Ana.

"Don't take it personally..."

"I try not to, I know how frustrating it is when a parent is ill and they're a distance away," she sighed.

"Can I come back in?" asked Gwynne as she returned to the bedside.

"Of course," smiled Ana as she looked up from the trolley of tools.

"He settled down?" asked Robert as he took his wife's hand in his.

"Chris apologises and hopes he didn't offend you, "smiled Gwynne as she watched the young nurse busy herself.

"He didn't. He's a good lad, I'm sure...He's bloody good looking!" she blushed.

"Ah-ha! A pine-nut!" laughed Robert but caught his breath as the chest drains moved uncomfortably.

"Let's get those drains out and you can laugh as much as you want!" smiled Ana as she went about her duties.

Within a week, Robert had been discharged from the ICU and hospital. With the promise of dinner when she visited Los Angeles in a few months, they exchanged numbers and farewells, never thinking they were serious...