Past Tense

"Well I figure you didn't do it then." He warily looked at me in the rear view mirror.

"So you have an opinion?" I was at the point where none of this mattered to me anymore, it was a mistake, but I fully intended for it to happen.

"No, usually every person who sits behind that mesh wall are screamin' and crying, saying that they didn't do it. You're the first one who hasn't claimed that they wasn't the one who did it." I wasn't paying much attention to him. The cold metal cuffs on my wrists were uncomfortable but bearable. I peered through the window of the vehicle only to see a helicopter and three cop cars speed past.

"You wouldn't believe it. One time this guy was screamin' and cryin' saying that he didn't do it. Man, the fucker was snotting everywhere crying out for his mama. He was at least in his mid forties. He was acting like a big baby if ya' ask me."

"Did he do it?"

"Of course he did it! They caught the fucker red handed stabbing his wife in the chest. And then we cuffed him up and threw him in the back, right about where you're sitting and he started crying like a child who had gotten their toy nabbed from em'." I shook my head, there was nothing really to say.

Looking out the window, more police cars and ambulances kept on coming, going in the opposite direction. I wonder what's wrong.

"This other time, this man was runnin' about causing a ruckus and he was drunk off his ass! Had to arrest him for public intoxi-" While he was talking there was a person walking in the middle of the highway.

"Watch out!" I yelled. But there wasn't enough time.

~*~