Footprints

A mellow breeze caressed my cheek and whispered into my ear, the serene sun shun upon the sea and sand providing a prestigious sense of confidence and eminence. The sea breeze weaved its way into my nostrils. It had a distinct aroma, every beach in Sweden possessed the same soft, salty smell - apart from this one, this beach was special; this was my beach.

There was silence bar the desolate occasion of a passing seagull and the gushing of the oceans waves. Every now and then the water would lap at my feet emanating an odd squelching noise as my heavy feet compressed the water into the sand. I trudged along the edge – the end of the beach where the water met with the sand. Seventy years I lived on this beach, the waves were my heartbeat the tide were my ups and downs and the breeze was my breath; this is my home.

This was never always only my home, Britt was her name and 'Partners in crime' is what she called the two of us as we "stole this beach for ourselves" – I couldn't agree more. Once this beach was populated by many, slowly over time it diminished until inevitably I was the final inhabitor. I met my wife at this very beach decades ago, she was beautiful, stunning.

Her long soft caramel was set in waves draped elegantly across her face revealing when opened an inconceivable figure of beauty. A cute button nose her eyes thin pools of amber embellished with plucked eyebrows and brushed eyelashes. Her skin was that of a glowing ember with a splash of Sunkist tinge. Britt's high cheekbones well accompanied her culminating smile. Her lips were of the softest velvet, smooth and rich and packed with passion. Her figure was thin and petite although curved were appropriate. In my eyes she was the epitome of a true soulmate. To see her pass away crushed me, this place my home is all I have left along with the memories. Fifty years ago, it was nineteen sixty-six...

"Hey! Kim" Jonas called

"What?" I exclaimed

"I found some birds down by the bike racks, you in?"

"What sort of question is that? Course' I'm in"

Shirtless, half drunk and fired up fueled with the early twenties energy and desire for thrill I followed Jonas to the bike racks tepidly jogging through the fiercely hot sand. As we were approaching the 'birds' I began analysing my situation and chances. Three: blonde, black and brunette. They giggled at the sight of two fit, shirtless men running towards them.

"Ladies!" Jonas confidently initiating the conversation speaking in a seductive tone "I'm Jonas, pleasure to meet you" The girls halfheartedly laughed at Jonas' 'introduction' exaggerating slightly as if to imply that they truly found Jonas comical.

"This is my bud Kim" I rose a hand briefly smiling awkwardly, Jonas nudged me giving me a sharp quick glare as if implying I should 'Say something!'

"Oh- I'm Kim, eh-"

"Hot day today eh?" Jonas winked at the blonde as he emphasized on the word 'hot'. "Maybe a drink would help cool you off?" Jonas gestured behind him at the tavern with his thumb. "It's on me"

Whilst Jonas persistently continued to try and convince the girls, in particular the blonde that they were indeed thirsty I began scanning my surroundings. I looked to my left scanned to the right tilted my head up and upon my descent I noticed the girl with brunette hair staring at me. At the realisation that I noticed her she frantically attempted to 'cover up' rubbing her eye as if to imply there was something stuck inside. I approached her looking into her hazel eye, she froze, I noticed a stray eyelash caught and brushed it away. I smiled and retreated a step from her.