Chapter One: The Reward

My mother always told me stories of the Gods. A royal family gifted with special powers whom then aided the people. Even today there were individuals who would visit the temple of a certain God and leave offerings and prayers. It was often that their voices were heard and many people lived a happy life that way.

Me? Yeah, not one of them. It wasn't practical to rely on charms and special powers. Sure I would go with my friends to leave prayers for good exam scores but that was it. Life didn't go on because of royal Gods. It went on if you were capable and had a good head on your shoulders.

My mother on the other hand, she still gave offerings to the God of Fertility. Even the other gods that had nothing to do with her, she left something small at their temples. It was silly but I didn't talk to her about it. If she believed in it, I wasn't going to stop her. Sometimes I wished she would do the same for me.

"Yah! Miyuki. Make sure you stop at the King's temple last before you leave." As she spoke to me while I put on my coat, I rolled my eyes just a little. "And make sure that you don't let those offerings for the God of Fire get cold. Also the God of Dreams must be prayed to three times or else he may not hear the prayer. And-"

"And the God of Treasures would steal anything that I leave there by accident. And the God of Charms will trap me there if I look into the pond at his temple." I saw the look on her face and I sighed and placed my hand on her shoulder. "Mom, I'm kidding! I have heard you explain this to me all night, all morning... I can handle your temple rounds for today."

"You know how forgetful you can be, Miyu." Her eyes were filled with worry and I placed my bag down so I could give her a big hug. I felt her exhale and she rubbed my back gently with her hand. "Just don't get into trouble and be respectful while you're there."

"I know better, mom." I sighed, letting her go and smiling at her. "I'll give them your prayers and offerings and be home in time for dinner." As I was walking out the door, I felt my mom tug on the hood of my jacket. When I turned around the bag with the offerings was in her hand and I laughed. "I won't mess up, I promise!"

I could tell she didn't have complete faith in me, but she knew I would try my best. She smiled before coughing into a tissue and heading back inside where it was warmer. Even though this whole lifestyle wasn't my thing, I didn't mind going to the temple gardens. It was beautiful there and each temple was said to be the original ones that each of the King's sons lived in. Even the King's temple was untouched aside from maintenance every now and then. I was still a dreamer although I didn't depend on the power of Gods. Mom always said that I had stars in my eyes since the day I was born.

I got there quickly in hopes that the offerings would stay warm. How mom did this every week, I didn't know. Especially at her age, it was impressive to think she would climb these stairs all the time. Although I was tired and out of breath, my eyes were twinkling as I reached the top of the stairs. This area was a very popular one for locals and tourists alike but I'm glad it wasn't being abused. There were no stores selling merchandise and admission was free. As mom always said, "if you're able to climb the vast amount of stairs you were meant to be there."

There were signs pointing towards the temples, leading you along the right paths but they looked aged too and fit the whole aesthetic of the place. Part of me wished that I were still in high school so I could come here more often. Mom was always asking me to go but work made it hard. I was lucky to get this day off; I was surprised my manager even allowed it.

Following the path, I made my way first to the God of Fire's temple. I took out the small decorative box from my bag and opened it up to reveal his offering. My mouth watered just a little at the smell and how fresh they were but I refrained from taking even a nibble. I placed it down onto the plate my mom told me about before saying a short prayer while bowing. My mother prays to you for a warm Winter so she can work harder. Please take this offering and make it so.