The Weirdest Flight Ever

After everyone had been seated, the captain's booming voice came over the loudspeaker. "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. Welcome aboard British Airways. We will aim to reach Mumbai in about twenty hours from now. Please pay attention to your flight attendants as they take you through the safety procedures in case of emergencies. Be sure to follow all instructions given to you. Your seatbelt should ideally be kept on during the entire flight."About 10 minutes later, the flight took off. For some reason, the minute I boarded my flight, I had known it wouldn't be a normal journey. Not because of the plane, but because of some of the passengers. 

About two hours later, I caught sight of the girl. Dressed in a black button-up miniskirt and a black crop-top, she had the darkest shade of red lipstick put on, hair flowing like a kite on a windy day. She dropped a booklet (presumably on her way to the bathroom) and bent to pick it up. She smiled at me politely, a smile that I returned. "Aisha," a voice gently called. "Yes?" A young girl, about 17 years of age, took her folder from her. "I'll take care of it." The young woman went towards the bathroom, while the teenager went back to take her seat. Right accross from me. I took a slide glance at her. She had a black singlet/crop-top thing on over a long, flowing white skirt. She had straight black hair, with chocolate brown eyes framed by reddish-brown glasses and perfect makeup. I heard her ask the flight attendant for "a black coffee, please, with two sachets of sugar." She asked a young black-haired boy next to her, "What would His Highness like?" He gave a little snort and replied, "Same as the lady." After their requests were fulfilled, the heated arguments began in hushed voices. They spoke what I recognised as Hindi, yet I couldn't grasp on to what they were saying. A young man with curly black hair and brown eyes was seated next to me. He smiled and extended his hand politely. "Hi. I'm Kunal Nayyar. Nice to meet you." I returned his greetings. "Same here. Dev Patel." We started chatting. I discovered that he had a Dehli upbringing, played the role of Dr. Rajesh Koothrapalli on The Big Bang Theory, was married to an ex Miss-India, and had a dog named Boba Fett (yes, the Star Wars character). He spoke with a very Indian accent, which cleared the fact. His head turned to glimpse at the two teenagers. "Main yahaan tumhare saath 18 ghanto ke liye phas gaya, isme mera koi haath nahi hai. Yeh toh meri kismat hai, jo saath nahi deti." Kunal gave a soft chuckle as he heard the  reply, "Main bhi mari nahi jaa rahi tumhare saath India jaane ke liye. Kaam ka maamla hai iss liye mana nahi kiya. Agar mama ne instructions nahi diye hote, toh main plane ko board hi nahi karti." The boy was shocked. "You can speak Hindi fluently?" The girl laughed. "Just because I was raised in New Zealand doesn't mean I don't know my roots, Rohan."  The boy frowned. "But you were born in India, right?" Her accent was neither Indian nor British. She had said she was from New Zealand. 

"Yes, Akdu."  Kunal  laughed. "Someone's angry." I asked Kunal, puzzled at what in the name of Neptune was going on. He translated. "The boy is saying, 'The fact that I'm stuck with you for 18 hours is not my fault. It's my fate that doesn't support me.' And the girl replied, 'Even I'm not dying to go to India with you. It's a matter of work, which is why I didn't refuse. If my mother hadn't given me instructions, I wouldn't have boarded the plane.'" 

Muskaan

I did not want to be here. At all. Just because I'm a journalist/psychologist/RJ doesn't mean I deserve to be stuck with weirdos. I was flying to Mumbai presently with my co-journalist Rohan Arora, my chidhood "friend."  (I knew him for 12 years, and we had never been on the same page for anything at all.) We were flying to Mumbai to cover a newspiece. As I saw it, it wasn't a very peaceful journey.

As I sipped my black coffee in silent outrage at my co-passenger, the plane turbulently shook, because of which his head collided with mine. "Owww!" I glared at Rohan, who was in turn glaring at me. "Stick to your seat," he whispered furiously. "Back to you," I whispered. I decided I didn't need his annoyance right now in my life. I plugged in the headset and began watching my favourite Bollywood flick, 'Jolly LLB 2,' starring Akshay Kumar. Rohan, once he realised annoying me wouldn't do him any good, proceeded to do the same. After about an hour, dinner was being served to the passengers on trays. I got an authentic Indian meal: Rotis, dry chicken curry, rice, and for dessert, the absolute favorite, gulab jamun. The perfect little dough balls, all two of them, were massive temptations, sitting there in their bowls, soaked in sugar syrup. Rohan, apparently wasn't satisfied with his meal: Indo Chinese. He ate in silence. I smirked. "What, no complaints?" He rolled his eyes. "Shut up, Muskaan." I wanted to focus on my radio script. If you're ever on the same flight as Rohan Arora, you're going to have a bad time. Rohan is a lazy person who doesn't appreciate or devote any of his time to his work, and instead distracts others as he has nothing better to do. And so he decided to spill coffee on me. 

Dev

"Rohan!" The girl wailed. She scuttled off towards the plane toilet right behind me as I got up. I could hear her murmuring to herself, "Useless. Can't even say sorry, the jerk. Found only my skirt in the whole wide world to spill his coffee on." Due to her incessant muttering, she didn't realise when she bumped into me, 

Muskaan

I stood there shocked utterly and completely as I saw Dev Patel look down at me. "Sorry." It came out via a miracle. "It's cool," I said. "Is everything okay?" He had such a cool voice. "No. I'm stuck on the plane with an idiot." I laughed. "I saw it. Don't you think it may have been an accident?" I smirked. "Even if it was, the brat will never apologize. Heh. Hard to believe I've tolerated him for 12 years." 

Dev

I saw the young boy come up to Muskaan. "Here."  He handed her some tissues. "Thank you," she replied with a sarcastic expression. "No need now." She went inside after me to use the toilet and crashed into the boy after walking out. "Blind even with glasses,"  I heard him say under his breath. She stood on his foot and walked off in a huff. "Bloody hell," he grimaced. "Childhood friend?" I asked. He laughed. "The day Muskaan and Rohan become friends, books will start flying, sir," he declared. 

Aisha

I watched him out of the corner of my eye, chatting with the young teens. I smiled, a smiled full of longing and desire. I took in his face, the crinkles around his eyes, the small dimple in his right cheek, the way he leaned towards the ground bending slightly on his knees, and of course, the melodious sound of his cheerful laughter. The young man. Dev Patel. I was in love with him. People just think of 'love at first sight' as something that is just a jumble of hormones. I wanted to acquire him, to make him love me, to make love to him, just in that first instance. I wanted him.

Dev 

As I walked back to my seat, the last thing I remember was Aisha smiling at me, her eyes fixed on my every move. For some reason I felt something wasn't right.