Chapter 16

Sixteen.

V e r a.

Dinner was incredibly awkward with Nate and Hunter. It was like forced. Nate was being himself as usual. I was surprised that he could even remain so relaxed with his best friend’s venomous glare directed at him the whole night. I just sat there, occasionally nodding at what they tried to talk about. I didn’t want to make myself the center of attention, especially when Hunter was acting like he was going to murder Nate.

“Damn, he’s pissed.” Nate said under his breath as we cleared up the table and watched Hunter head back into the kitchen with the plates in his hand.

“Yeah I know. I thought he was going to kill you or something.” I said as I handed over the empty pizza box to Nate and started to get up from the bench.

“So, I have a theory.” Nate started as I swung my legs over the bench but remained seated looking up at him.

“A theory?”

“Yeah. I believe that Hunter just needs something to make him realize his feelings for you. A little push, if you will.”

“And how do you suppose we test out your theory?” I asked, raising an eyebrow at him. He pushed his dark brown hair with one hand while he brought his face dangerously close to mine at the same time. I almost did a double take.

“Just follow my lead.” He whispered, his eyes holding a wicked glint in them. This boy was so mischievous and maniacal.

“Nate, I don’t know about this…” I started more than a little hesitant.

“What, are you scared? Is poor little Vera scared of putting herself out there for once, instead of hiding?”

I was terrified. But I wasn’t going to tell him that. He knew that the last time I put myself out there, I was hurt and humiliated. He knew I was just only starting to get over it again. I raised my eyes to meet his, all the worry clearly showing in them. His face softened and I knew he understood just how difficult this was.

“What if you’re wrong?” I asked softly. Because there was every possibility that he was wrong, and Hunter didn’t love me at all. And that he might just really want to redeem himself for being a scumbag.

“I know him, Vera. I can see it in his eyes that he cares about you. A lot.” Nate said. And suddenly there was something different about him. He wasn’t as malicious as I thought he was. He was as cruel as his sister. He was entirely different from her.

“So, how do we go about this?”

“Easy. From now on, we’re dating. Everyone will know about us, the official story, if you will.”

“Nice Shakespeare reference.” I smiled wryly. So we were dating, and were both to tell no one the truth. It sounded simple enough.

“But, if we’re dating then he’s really not going to admit any of his feelings.” I mean what guy would go after his best friend’s girl? Hunter didn’t strike me as that type.

“The thing about Hunter,” Nate began and that glint was back in his eyes as he spoke.

“He always wants what he can’t have and he’ll jump through hoops to get it. Trust me, he’ll come after you, especially if he sees that we’ve started to go out.” It made sense.

“There’s just one problem.” I said as I watched his brow furrow together as he waited for me to continue.

“I’ve never been in a relationship, so how can I possibly fake one?”