Chapter 1

I stare at my pale reflection in the train's mirror and sigh.

I remember opening the house's door after coming back from our garden and calling my mother's name, my voice filled with excitement. "Anastasia!" I called, but I heard no reply.

I searched around the house trying to find her, and when I opened her bedroom's door quietly, peeking inside, I saw her lifeless body lying in a pool of her own blood.

Shock washed my face. I was horrified by what I was looking at. Both my hands traveled to my mouth covering it, as I fell to the ground releasing the hurt and sadness mixed with the feeling of lost and confusion.

I close my eyes trying to shake myself out of these thoughts. The image of the blood dripping on the floor haunts me. I try to throw it in the back of my mind, but it always manages to ear me down.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, as I feel myself drift into another flashback.

A tall gorgeous woman sat on the couch in the living room and looked at me. Her eyes were the most beautiful shade of green I've ever seen.

She had papers in her hands that she read. "Harleen" she smile saying my name with a quiet but still so powerful voice that scared me but warmed me on the inside. "I'm Trinty" she smiled weakly "I will be helping you escape", "why would I want to escape?" I asked a bit frightened, "you might not know this, but, you are in danger and you will have to escape as soon as possible", I looked deeply in her eyes trying to take control over her to get to know the truth "how do you know we are in danger? How do you know about my mother?  How can I know you aren't the danger and want to kill me? And what makes you think i could believe you that easily? and why did you wait, after my mother's death to tell me i'm in danger".

"you are quite intelligent for your age" she smiled playfully, "I'm 18" I glared, "You'll have to believe me, and if I wanted to kill you I wouldn't have told you you are in danger and would have killed you as soon as you opened the door for me. and you might be familiar with the reason why people are following you", "my father" i murmured and looked at the ground somewhat embarrassed and disgusted by the man that once held me in his arms and loved me and that turned out to be a monster at the end.

He was a person with no heart, that killed innocent people for money that stole and lived hiding from the police, that put us in the dark until we were found that day. he owns a lot of people a lot of money for his drugs and the nasty things he put first in his life, even before his wife that supported him through anything and helped him in everything he did.

I hate the fact that he put us all in this situation. And I know I would never be like him. I am not like him.

"what are you going to do?" I asked her, "you are going to Martenia" she gets up, "Martenia?" I asked, she nodded and spoke "you will be trained how to fight and defend yourself. It will be far from here and it will keep you safe", I nod "anything I need to know other than that", "yes. Not everybody passes. You will have to be on their list to stay", "and if I don't?", "you will be sent back" and by that she left.

I am now in the train taking me to Martenia. I wake up to the sound of the squeal and screech of the train braking to stop. I get up and look at the people around me.

I walk out of train as its metallic doors open up. I cover my head with the hood of my jacket and search for a taxi. I get into the taxi and tell him to drive me near Martenia.

I remember Trinities words 'never tell them who you really are'. I am afraid they would find out I am hiding in Martenia.

When I arrive, I wait for the taxi to drive away and walk to the location. I stand in front of two immense dark gray doors. I look up.

The sun is shining so bright, but, still, the darkness hiding in the bottom of this place wouldn't make it feel like home.

I hear a man's voice call my name. I jump startled and look at a beefy man. He has a large heavy body and strong muscles. He smiled and said "come inside", "May I ask, who are you?" I ask and look at him.

"Joaquin and I am the leader. I wanted to come personally to meet you", I nod and walk with him. I look around, inside the enormous compound.

A group of people are sitting on top of the wall. A girl is screaming happily as a guy pushes her so she is hanging from the ledge of the rooftop. She doesn't look that afraid.

A group of boys and girls are standing with beers in hand. A guy seems to be telling them a story and they are all so looking at him with interest. As Joaquin and I walk to them, they all burst out laughing as the same guy throws a joke.

They all stop laughing as soon as they realize our presence. The guy turns around and gives Joaquin a smile.

He looks at me from head to toe, the back at Joaquin. He is tall and well built. His muscles were visible underneath his black tight shirt and his brown hair complimented his amazingly attractive brown eyes.

"Harleen, this is Sebastian. The best trainer in Martenia" Joaquin speaks. He whispers something in Sebastian's ear and he nods. I look at Joaquin leave.

"I am going to show you around" Sebastian speaks, I look at him and watch him concentrating right in front of him. "is it legal to drink here?" I ask him, he smiles genuinely showing his white big teeth.

"yes, it is legal. It's not a military. You will enjoy being here, trust me" he looks at as he opens the door to a room where people are training. "this is the 'training room', where you will take your trainings", he walks to the people firing with a gun at mannequins. "and here you will learn how to use a gun".

"are we going to kill people?" I ask confused, "we don't kill innocent people" he walks. My eyes catches a hint of a tattoo on his arms and I wonder what it is about.

"why did you decide to come here?" I ask, his face turns serious as he says lowering his voice a bit making me shiver "I think you should mind your own business", I stay quiet and walk trying to avoid him as much as I can. 

he shows me around and then takes me to another building and leads me to my room. He tells me about the planning for tomorrow.  

I look around. The room was big, but it felt so empty and I knew the reason why. Missing somebody, remembering them and letting all your emotions control you so you can let them go doesn't show weakness. It shows that you still are a human and you will break, and breaking is another reason to build up instead of letting fear and emotions build up instead.