Chapter 7

I stared at my reflection in the tall mirror that was attached to one of the wardrobe's door, on the inside.
A thin, pale girl stared back. I tried to smile at her, but her weak, sad face made me want to cry. However, I did like the way she was attired; her pink shirt and her blue jeans. I walked towards the dresser and tied my straight, blonde hair into a bun and let the bangs go loose.

I locked my door and went down the lift. Alvin was sleeping in his chair.
I was wondering how to address him so I just called him by his name, for that's how he'd been introduced to me.

"Alvin," I said.

He jerked upright in his chair, looking alert, then when he spotted me, he calmed down.

"Sorry!" I said, then smiled at him apologetically.

He smiled back, waving a hand at me and shaking his head simultaneously.

"Where can I find Eva?" I asked.

"You're not meeting Eva," he said. "She just asked me a few minutes ago to tell ya to go to Professor Theo Hayes, and you're going there. Second floor."

He points at the lift and I walk back in.

"He's a strange man," I said to myself, as I show my card and typed in 502.

As the lift door slid aside, and blast of warm air greated my face. I found myself in a beautiful corridor. There were four doors only, with a name-plate on each. The doors were near the center of the walls, two on my left, the other two on my right. On the wall, in front of me was a huge portrait. It was painted almost entirely in shades and tints of gold. It showed a hut, behind which was an orchard. A river flew near it, and in the background was a chain of small hills. It was beautifully painted, and looked prettier in the corridor's golden-yellow lights. I walked towards Professor Theo's room and knocked twice.

"Come in, Stacy."

Surprised, I pushed the door open.

Maybe he doesn't ever get, or allow, visitors at this time of the day.

The room was slightly smaller than mine, but almost empty, except for a desk with one chair on either side, and a sofa on my left. There was a door on the wall to my left, next to the desk.
Professor Theo had black, short hair, with streaks of gray, and a lean, lively face. There were several moles spread delicately on his left cheek. He looked up at me.

"Have a seat," he said, smiling.

He must be in his late seventies, I thought.

"You are Stacy, right?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. I bet you already know about me. Like who I am."

I gave him a short nod.

"So, do you like it here?"

"I don't know."

"Well," he said, raising a brow. "What has Eva told you?"

"Much to confuse me."

I knew I must be confusing him as well, but the truth kept spilling out of my mouth.

"So you know you're an Onyx?"

"Yes, and next year's the Ceremony."

Professor Theo leaned back in his chair.

"Good. Ophenia hopes to give each Ophenian a good life. We hope that you'll spend a wonderful life here, and live contentedly with your fellows. Leaders of Ophenia try to ensure none of the people - or Ophenians - remember their loses and feel depressed. It's our duty to ensure each Ophenian enjoys here, and gets a comfortable life. We hope that you will follow the rules, and live accordingly, without causing troubles. You must have noticed the rules and regulations on the ground floor, opposite to Alvin. No? Well, do read them when you feel like doing. And how would you like to know more about Ophenia? Books or words?"

"Books."

He smiled with satisfaction.

"Okay, then. The library's on the third floor. You can go there anytime you like. Right now, I want you to go read the rules. And if you have any inquiries, my door's always open."

Then he pulled out a sheet of paper and handed it to me.

"Fill this form by tomorrow. You may go now."

I stood up and thanked him. As I closed the door, I saw him working with some papers, as if he'd never been interrupted.