Chapter One

mul·ti·ple per·son·al·i·ty
noun
// A rare dissociative disorder in which two or more personalities with distinct memories and behavior patterns apparently exist in one individual.//
____________

The heels of my boots clicked against the sidewalk as I shivered, pulling my winter jacket closer as a cool breeze swept through, thankful that I had dressed warm this morning. As I neared the local coffee shop, the mouth watering scent of fresh pastries filled my nostrils. I pulled the door open, a bell dinging as I stepped inside, letting the door close behind me as I looked around. It wasn't as crowded this morning, only a few people sitting around as they enjoyed a cup of coffee, minding their own business as I made my way to the front counter. Joyce, the owner's wife, looked up at me with a wide, happy smile. "Good morning, Amanda. The usual?" I gave her a nod, responding with a soft 'good morning' and smile as I placed some money on the counter's surface. She went to fix my order after collecting the money, and I shoved my hands into the pockets of my jacket as I waited, eyes roaming over the shop as I bounced in my spot.
There was a young man to my right, sitting in a corner booth by himself with a book in his hand, his head rested against his palm. I had seen him here once or twice before, always sitting in the same spot keeping to himself. He noticed I was staring when Joyce had to repeat my name, our eyes connecting for a brief moment. "Amanda." I snapped my head in her direction, feeling a blush sting at my cheeks as I smiled at her sheepishly. "T- thank you," I stumbled over my words as I took both the bagel and coffee from her hands. She gave me a knowing look, and I chewed at my lower lip as I turned around, making my way to an empty booth. I set my stuff beside me as I sat down, pulling off a piece of my bagel before plopping it in my mouth, chewing slowly as I checked my phone for messages.
I felt eyes on me, but was too embarrassed to find out who was staring as I replied to a text from my friend Sam, who was asking if I was still on for a movie night later today. Once finished, I set my phone on the table and pulled my book from my bag, flipping to the last page I remembered reading. The awkward feeling of being watched lingered in the air as I finished the cinnamon bagel, and after reading a few more chapters I quickly grabbed my things, getting up from the booth. I waved at Joyce as I opened the door, letting a relieved sigh escape my lips when I stepped outside and the strange feeling disappeared. Shaking it off as simple paranoia, I stepped forward, not spotting the pair of eyes watching me as I walked away.
_______________
Author's Note: please let me know what you think guys! And also vote. Very nervous and insecure about this since I'm creating a whole world lol