Chapter Two

I held the phone up to my ear as I listened to Sam's voice, furrowing my brow. "So wait, why aren't you able to come over?" I asked in slight confusion, rolling my eyes as she spewed out another silly excuse, regretting having ever asked. "I'm really sorry, Mandy. This is just the only night he has off, and he asked to come over. I couldn't just say no," she spoke softly through the phone, and I sighed softly as I put on a happy front, not wanting her to know it got to me. "No, no it's fine! We'll just reschedule." I replied quickly, and after saying a quick goodbye I hung up, falling back onto my couch with a groan. I rubbed the bridge of my nose as I closed my eyes, trying to decide wether or not to watch movies on my own. Had I been paying attention, I would have noticed the shadowed figure dance across the wall in front of me silently, but I was too preoccupied in my own thoughts. That is...until a loud thump caught my attention. I jumped a bit, a little surprised by the sound as I turned to look into the hallway.
Standing up, I moved to where the sound had originated, finding a couple books had been knocked over somehow. I shivered as cool air hit my skin, turning to find the front door wide open. I quickly dialed Sam's number into my phone, holding it up to my ear as I walked to the door and stuck my head outside to look around. She'd pulled pranks like this before, and usually I could laugh it off and move on, but I wasn't putting up with it tonight. She answered after the third ring with a soft 'hello', and I found myself working hard to use my voice due to the shivering, and I closed my door gently before replying. "S- Sam...this isn't funny." I said quickly, and there was a brief pause. "What are you...talking about?" The confusion in her voice should have been a red flag, as well as the creaking in the floorboards behind me at the far end of the hall. "I know you're in my house. The joke's over just come out."
Another pause, this time longer, and when she spoke again her voice was low. "Amanda....I am not in your house." I froze in place at her words, eyes widening slowly as it began to register. "Sam..." The house was eerily quiet now, as if someone were watching, waiting for me to make my next move. "Zeke can wait, I'm coming over. Just...stay hidden until I get there, alright?" I let out a shaky breath as she hung up, slowly lowering my phone. I could call 911, but that could trigger whoever was in my house to attack. My hand, which still had a firm grip on the door handle, began to twist it slowly. Maybe if I ran out, someone would hear me scream, come to help. My thoughts were interrupted as I opened the door as the sound of someone running up behind me rumbled throughout the house, a hand covering my mouth before I could make a sound.
________________
Author's Note: let me know what you think and leave a vote!:)