Just the two of them

It was a snowy, peaceful, unusually cold night in town.

Yuri thought he was currently spending the best time of his life with Victor —they had the whole day to just the two of them to simply walk around town, shop, eat, and talk to their hearts' content, without a single care in the world.

He wished this moment with Victor would last forever.

"Victor, look at those rings! Aren't they pretty?"

Yuri's eyes were fixated on the couple ring set displayed in the glass display of a jewellery store.

Victor saw the look on Yuri's face, and smiled. He knew what he had to do.

"Victor! Y...you can't possibly give me something so expensive!" Yuri's eyes widened when he heard Victor telling the store owner that he'd get that couple ring set.

Yuri didn't really know why, but part of him was also so, so happy about it even though it was such an expensive gift. Even though he manifested his worry about the price, deep down, he knew he really wanted the couple ring set to be worn with Victor.

"Hmm, who said I was buying it for you? I was going to buy it to give to someone else." Victor said with a smirk.

Yuri's heart sank immediately. Unknowingly, tears started forming in his eyes —but, he thought, didn't he just tell Victor not to spend so much on him earlier? 

Yuri looked down. He was too embarrassed to face Victor.

Ugh, why am I so dumb? Why do I assume such things and embarrass myself?

"O-oh. I'm really sorry for assuming things on my-"

Victor pulled Yuri into his embrace immediately. All the shopping bags they were holding landed onto the floor.

Victor hugged Yuri tightly and planted a soft kiss on his forehead before he whispered softly into his ear, "...I was just kidding, I'm sorry for making you upset. Don't cry, alright? Of course I'm buying the couple ring set for us, who else would be special enough to me for me to buy it for them except you, Yuri?"

Yuri started blushing madly after hearing those words —he felt an incredible sense of relief. Yuri tightened the hug with Victor.

"...idiot Victor! Stop teasing me like this!" Yuri looked up to meet Victor's loving gaze and smile while plunging his small fists into Victor's chest.

Victor started chuckling at how cute and shy Yuri was. He softly kissed Yuri's hand before putting on the ring for Yuri.

"Doesn't this kind of mean that Yuri is mine now?" Victor joked flirtatiously.

"Who said I was going to be yours? I was thinking of being someone else's." Yuri said and pouted, attempting to get back at Victor for doing that to him earlier.

Victor started laughing and patted Yuri's head.

"That won't ever happen. I won't let that happen, do you know why? " Victor asked.

Yuri shook his head.

As if I would ever know what's going on in that mind of yours!

"It's because Yuri is mine. " Victor said lightheartedly.

It's things like these that Victor says, that confuse Yuri. He doesn't know if Victor is being serious, or if he's just joking around like he always does.

Did he really mean it when he said I was his? Was he saying those things only because he thought of me as an extremely close friend to joke about such things with?

Yuri won't ever be able to decipher what Victor was thinking or feeling, but he honestly hoped that Victor was serious, and meant whatever he had said.

---

When they reached Victor's house after shopping, the first thing that Victor suggested was that they get into the bath together, being the usual flirty and goofy self he is. Yuri blushed a deep red and rejected Victor's offer. Victor had lost count of how many times he thought Yuri was just so adorable. Nope, Yuri was always adorable to him.

The atmosphere in the house suddenly turned serious when Victor said that he needed to tell Yuri something.

"Yuri... I've made my decision." Victor began while facing Yuri with both hands on Yuri's shoulders.

Yuri tensed up.

"I... will retire as your coach after the Grand Prix Final, and return to Russia as a competitive skater. I've learnt how I shouldn't keep certain things selfishly tied to myself, so I hope you will support my decision for both our sakes."

Yuri felt tears slip from the corners of his eyes, and then roll down his cheeks before landing on the floor with a 'plop' sound. He could literally feel his heart being ripped into pieces.

Why was Victor, all of a sudden, being so... cruel? Victor didn't feel like Victor anymore. He felt like a completely different person, he suddenly felt so distant, so far away, so out of reach.

"...Why are you leaving me behind? I don't want you to go, Victor! I want you to remain as my coach until I retire, and I'll never retire for as long as I am still able to skate!" These words just left Yuri's mouth unknowingly. Yuri was taken aback at what he had just so selfishly said. He wanted Victor to himself.

It is selfish, but I want Victor. Is it okay to just be selfish this once, for Victor to remain by my side?

Victor looked down, bit his lip and took both his hands off Yuri, and walked into the bathroom, shutting the door behind him, without saying a single word. He really needed time to think alone in the bath.

Yuri was left standing alone in Victor's bedroom.

Yuri felt a surge of emotions overwhelm him. He needed a way to release all his emotions —he had never really felt this much before, and he never really knew how to deal with his emotions since young.

After a while, Victor stepped out from the bathroom to find Yuri lying in his bed, surrounded by empty cans of beer.
Victor glanced at the door of the cabinet where he stored his alcohol, which was left open to reveal how there was no more beer left.

Yuri had rummaged through the entire cabinet to find the cans of beer, and got himself dead drunk while Victor was in the bath.