Gelert and Wales

In a time when dragons rained the earth and there were very few humans, there lived a family of four a mum,Catherine,a dad,Gethin ,a daughter Mary and a son Gelert. This family was quite humble and even though they were rich they lived as any other person would and did not like spoiling themselves or children. There also lived two ferocious dragons a red one and a black one in the valley called dragon's eye.

The family lived in fear that the two dragons ( who despised each other) would fight and accidentally kill them and destroy their house. The farther of the family lived his life to control these dragons.

One day when gelert was old enough he took along to teach him how to control the dragons. So they went into the dragon cave and summoned the dragons the red dragon ( who favoured the farther) saw darkness in the son but the dark and evil black dragon ( who Gelert’s farther hated) favoured gelert.

So the black dragon full of conning decided to persuade and manipulate gelert into helping him seize control of the land and finally vanquish his enemy the good and innocent red dragon. The red dragon who was wise to the black dragon's tactics tried to convince gelert to be good and not help the black dragon but the red dragon did this in vein because the black dragon was too persuasive and gelert had been manipulated into thinking the red dragon was evil and if he wasn't killed he would kill Gelert and his family.

One day when the red dragon was sleeping the black dragon had convinced gelert that he had to tonight kill the red dragon while he was sleeping. So gelert said he would do it if he was allowed control over half the land of dragon's eye when the black dragon agreed Gelert set of to the cave in which the red dragon slept in. He crept up to the red dragon and plunged a long silvery ruby increased sword into the dragon's side when he pulled it out nothing had happened there was no blood and the dragon carried on sleeping, Gelert tried again and the same thing happened again. But when he tried for a third time there was lots of blood on the sword and all over the floor. Gelert had succeeded he was about to leave when her realised that the dragon was awake and alive he turned to run but the red dragon was to quick,he had set the exit on fire and the red dragon was now towering over him he was so close and then the red dragon swung his claws towards him the he fell to the floor in a crumpled heap the red dragon then put out the fire and want to go get Gelert's farther to banish the black dragon for manipulating gelert into trying to kill him.

But when the farther came he blamed the red dragon of killing his son and then the red dragon realised that he wasn't ment to die he was ment to banished and then with gelert dead the dragon would be able to rule over the valley alone. So the red dragon knew what he needed to do he picked up Gelert's limp body placed his claws on the place where Gelert's heart was and then said I give gelert son of gethin one of my lives and gelert suddenly awoke and he realised what had happened and he told his farther every thing the black dragon and he had done and said. So the farther banished the black dragon and named the valley after the red dragon so it was now called Wales he also made a flag on which he put a picture of the red dragon on as a symbol of good ,hope,prosperity and peace and from that day on the valley was peaceful.

That is why we have a dragon on the welsh flag and why Wales is called Wales.