December Love

The sky around him was the perfect shade of blue, it always was up here.

He frowned in concentration as he gracefully jumped from one fluffy cloud to another, puffs of the wispy ice crystals moved underneath his bare feet every time he landed.

He stopped and brushed his wavy brown locks out of his face as he stood with his hands on his hips, surveying the world below him.

It was almost Christmas time and most people had found their December love, no thanks to him.

Another year over, another job well done, he thought as he gave himself an imaginary pat on the back.

He flopped down onto the cloud, lying on his back before he sighed and started to move his arms and legs, creating a cloud angel, lost in his thoughts of boredom.

He stopped moving and sighed, rolled over and looked over the side of the cloud, as he watched those below him.

Those in love.

He had decided that being in love made people crazy.

Made people do all sorts of crazy things.

He rolled back over and clasped his hands together and tucked them under his head as he gazed up to the sky and smirked.

He would never fall victim to love.

Ever.

"Is that so?" a voice boomed from above.

"You really gotta stop reading people's thoughts you know," the winged man replied.

He heard a chuckle in response.

"You think yourself immune to the power of love?" the voice asked, mirth in his tone.

"Of course," the young man replied, "I'm Cupid, and I see what love does to a man and I hardly think I should want to subject myself to it," he scoffed.

"But love brings you the most wondrous feeling, of being completely whole, like a puzzle that fits perfectly together with a significant other," the voice from above countered.

"Well unless I shoot myself in the ass with my own bow and arrow Zeus," Cupid replied, "which isn't going to happen anytime soon, I am never going to fall in love."

Zeus chuckled good naturedly at young Cupid.

He knew it was time.

As much as he loved Cupid and would be sad to see him go, Zeus knew it was time that Cupid had the very thing in his life that he didn't believe in.

Love.

Oh, he believed in it for anyone else and achieved a great sense of satisfaction in giving those that needed a little help or a nudge in the right direction.

He just didn't believe in it for himself.

And Zeus knew something that Cupid didn't.

Well, actually, he knew two things.

One, that Cupid had the enormous capacity to give and receive love within himself, he just didn't know it.

And two, he wasn't the first Cupid and he wouldn't be the last.

"One day young Cupid," Zeus replied, "you'll fall in love dear boy."

Cupid rolled his eyes and picked himself up off the cloud.

"You're talking whimsical nonsense old man," he said, and kicked at the cloud to cement his point before picking up his bow and arrow and flying off to another cloud further away.