Chapter 1

I walked into class, my regular talkative self. I see girls circling around a poster, and when the crowd clears, I investigate. It was a poster for a club caled the hushed club. Sounds like tourture. "Hey Emmieness." My best friend, Niel says. "Sup mah dude?" I say. "What's this?" He says, walking over. I still can't get over how tall he is, six foot four in eighth grade. Neil was a red head, I dyed my hair to a lighter blonde and blue and purple tips. Me and Niel talk about stuff that we found intresting, cars, videogames, stuff you wouldn't think a girl like me would talk about. "Emily, quiet down." The teacher says. Another guy walkes over and says to niel, "Hey gay boy, how's you'r boyfriend?" "Fine, not like you care." Niel was the only gay guy in the class, but I'm not the judging type. Who cares honestly? The only thing I asked of Niel was to not make his voice girly, it didn't feel right for someone to change their voice just because they like the same gender. "Eff him." I say. "Seriously." "You gonna check out hushed?" I ask him. "Yeah, probably." After school, me and Niel go to their meeting place, a car graveyard, with cars fixed up into a good sized room. "So, welcome to hushed." A girl says. She has black hair and purple on her side bangs. "Thanks." Me and Niel say. "But, first rule of hushed," "Don't talk about hushed club?" She cracks a smile. "No, but quite close. Only talk to members of hushed, for what we are going to tell you, can never leave this club. Unless, you are talked to by a teacher, or you are in another club." "Okay, so what is it you have to tell us?" Niel asks. She takes a deep breath. "Hushed is a group of bystanders, but also upstanders. Not for bullies, but for in, and sometimes near school violence, like talk of guns, and any weapons. Hushed is, in sorts a bracnh of the government." I sit there, prosesing what she told me. "So pretty much once you're told, you have to be in the club?" I ask. She nods. "Well. yay, this'll be tough." "You see Macy over there? She was a big talker, but a promise keeper. Now, she's silent unless even spoken to by a hushed member." "Oh," I say. "That's the only rule. You can't tell anyone. And when you hear someone talking about bringing a gun, come find me." "But what about next year?" "You'll have another hushed group." I go silent for a second. "Okay, I got it." We all walk back to our houses,talking about anything not related to hushed. I learned a couple thinsa about them. The leader, Winter, was a big fan of video games also, Macy had all As ever since she went silent, and the other guy in the group, Qienten, often got laughed at for hanging around all the girls in hushed. "Well you won't get much relif from that around me." Neil says. "We don't judge here." Quenten says. Neil brighened up, knowing theres not one, but a group, a small group but a group who didn't care about who he liked.