Chapter I

KAIDEN MCHOLLY

"Mooooom! I'm leaving!"

"Okay honey, have a good day at school! Don't forget to pick up your brother from soccer practice either."

"Do I ever?", I shout as I leave the house on my way to school. As I start on my way to the bus stop I take a second to wrap my jacket around me. It's December and things are finally starting to cool down. Just like everyday for 236 days in a row (I've been keeping count) the bus is well past ten minutes late. I don't understand stand how the bus driver, Miss Jacky, hasn't gotten fired yet but she's cool so I want her to stick around. She's been my friend since my second grade year and gives me advice sometimes even when I don't want to hear it.

As soon as I take out my binder to start on my biology homework the bus appears at the corner. 7:37 AM. Looks like I might be late again. The bus comes to a screeching stop and its doors open with a loud creak.
"Good morning baby!", Miss Jacky exclaims.
"Good morning to you too". Making my way up the steps I notice that my seat is open, per usual. I sit in the seat right behind Miss Jacky, always have and always will. As I sit down and take my backpack off I look over to see my best friend since the beginning of time, Dominic "Dom" Bates. He sends me a soft smile and I send him one back. "Good morning Kay, how goes it?", he says warmly. Dom has always been really nice to me hence why we're best friends.