~ 1 ~

Your POV

I sat at the kitchen table, silently taking a sip of my cup of tea. I'd been thinking.

Dad (Phil) and Father (Dan) had been so distant lately. Late into the night, I'd heard Father shouting at Dad, then hearing Dad crying. It'd taken all my willpower to not go down there screaming, I was so fed up with it. A few years ago, when they'd adopted me, they'd been the most loving couple you could see. A meaning kiss on the cheek every five minutes, cuddling on the sofa, etc. Now, they sit on the opposite sides of the sofa, and I've not seen them even hug for the past 7-8 months or so.

I squinted, putting down my cup. I needed to look into this a bit further. I really needed to find out why they were so gently; maybe even do a small investigation on it.

I pulled out my phone, texting my Dad.

You: Hey Dad! Are you awake yet? I need to have a chat with you downstairs, without Father.

Daddy <3: Oh, yeah, I'm awake sweetheart. When do you need me down? And why without your father?

You: Because it's a private conversation. And you can come down anytime soon. Before Father wakes up preferably.

Daddy <3: Alright sweetie. I'll be down in a moment.

I put my phone back in my joggers pocket, sighing. I wrapped both my cold hands around my warm cup of tea, still thinking, before I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard footsteps coming quietly down the stairs. I stood up, peeking out the kitchen door. Dad quickly walked into the living room, looking around for me. I slowly walked into the same room, tapping him on the shoulder.

'Can we sit down?' I muttered. He nodded, sitting down next to me. I only then noticed he looked so drained. He looked like he hadn't slept at all for years.

'Did you sleep well? You look terrible.' I sighed. He shrugged.

@ (<- FFS.) "Barely." He replied quietly. You smiled weakly at him, cuddling into his chest.

'Anyway. Back to the conversation. Why are you and Father so distant lately? You've barely had a full conversation for months, and don't think I've never heard those arguements you have at 2 in the morning.' I mumbled. He looked at me guiltily; I could already see tears forming at his eyelids. I gave him a soft look, waiting.

"I don't know sweetheart. It happened a long time ago, 8 months ago maybe. Your father went out that one night; he came back at 5 in the morning, drunk and tired." He choked back a sob at this point. I urged him on  little.

"T-Then.. he told me he found someone b-better than me... then he hit me around the head with a wine bottle.." Dad was now in tears. I gasped quietly, wiping the tears off his face and kissing the tip of his nose.

'How could he? There's no dad, or in your case, partner, who is better than you. You're amazing Daddy! You're sweet, handsome, adorable at times, and heck, just seeing you sad is enough to hug you till the end of time.' I giggled, but really pissed off at Father on the inside. I need to find out who that 'someone better than Dad' is.

Dad smiled weakly at me, chuckling. "There'll be much better paren-" I cut him off with a hug, and another kiss on the tip of the nose.

'Nono, there's no better of a parent than you, alright? End of.' I smiled.

'And don't you worry. I'll find out who that 'better person' is. Trust me.' I muttered, using a sarcastic voice for the word 'better'. Dad smiled at me, hugging me.

No one hurts the best Dad in the world, Phil Lester, on my watch. I'll find that 'better' person. For sure.