The Irony

I stepped over the corpse and into my parents room, there was a small light in the corner, as if a match were lit. The light didn't do much, as all it did was show the face of an eyeless girl, no younger than me. I stifled a gasp and lowered my guitar as I stepped closer to the girl.

"M-my eyes, they took my eyes." the other girl sobbed, her blonde hair was in plaits and had blood streaked through them, she wore a dress which reminded me of Alice In Wonderland.

"Um, hi." I whispered, the blonde girl stiffened and bared her teeth, her canines were sharpened to a point, and could easily tear through muscle.

"Don't touch me." the blonde girl threatened, I gulped.

"I won't, I promise. W-what um," the blonde girls eyeless gaze seemed to be staring through me. "What are you doing here? What happened?" I recovered and tried to keep myself calm.

"You don't know?" the blonde girl smirked, baring only one of her sharp teeth, "You must be a new one." I was shocked. A new what? I'd never seen this girl in the house before, ever, i hadn't even seen someone without eyes before.

"I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean, I've lived in this house for years and I've never seen you before." I was careful about how I worded my concern, I didn't want to anger the blonde girl, I definitely didn't want to see those sharp canines in action.

"Oh. Strange, what's your name?" the blonde girl had no eyes and she thought I was strange?

"Mordecai, what's yours?" I tried to keep my tone friendly, this girl looked like she knew a lot about what was going on at the moment.

"Everyone just calls me Iris." she responded. 'Oh, the irony.' I thought.

"They took my eyes." Iris stated, for someone who seemed morbid to the eyes, she had a sweeter voice then anyone I had heard.

"Clearly." I muttered, Iris' head turned to me.

"What?"

"I said who took your eyes?" I corrected quickly, thinking the other girl would most likely kill me if she heard what I had actually said. Iris shrugged her delicate shoulders.

"I don't know, I mean, I do, but I don't know their names." Iris seemed slightly uneasy, she seemed cautious whenever she talked about her well being. The match Iris was holding was beginning to burn close to her finger tips.

"The match, the fire is close to your fingers." I observed, Iris threw the match away and blew on her fingers, clearly the flame had burnt them.

"It did a terrible job of keeping me warm, I'm going to die from hypothermia from how cold I am." Iris smirked to herself whilst rubbing her hands together. I noticed the faint blue of Iris' lips and immediately felt bad for the sightless girl.

"I can get you a jumper from my room." I offered, Iris nodded.

"I don't really want you to stroll around the house all on your lonesome. Is it alright if I accompany you?" Iris seemed as if she wasn't from this time, I thought she might have been a roleplayer of some form, at the anime or video game conventions that I loved so much.

"Um sure... Can you defend yourself if anything comes for us?" Iris seemed way too sweet and erm... Blind, to defend herself. Iris bravely nodded and pulled her knife from her laced boots.

"I have been using this so far. I've mainly been blindly swinging it around, I think I've trained my ears well enough so that I can hear where my target is." Iris was unusually confident, I couldn't help but wonder how many times she'd had to defend herself blindly.

There was the groan of floorboards coming from the hallways, I knew someone was going to walk by the room soon, the faulty floorboard was closer to the lounge room, which was to the left of the bedroom if you were to leave it.

"Wait until it passes." I ordered, Iris rose an eyebrow but kept her mouth shut. I was right, a couple seconds after Iris and I had silenced, a shadow had stumbled past the door, tripping over the corpse that was laying in front of the door.

We ventured out into the hallways, Iris was clinging onto my arm, so she didn't get lost. It was a longer journey on the way back, due to Iris freaking out whenever she heard something, it was quite obvious she hadn't left that room in while and she wasn't quite used to being out in the open yet.

I was wary as I went back into my bedroom, my bed and wardrobe had been moved, and I wasn't the one that moved them.

"Iris, wait outside, just by the door." I placed one of Iris' hands on the doorframe and almost felt sorry for the blind girl, who was breathing heavily and would've been looking around frantically if it weren't for her loss for eyes.

I tip toed closer to my bed, smoothing out the lumpy sheets with my guitar, to make sure no one was under them.

"Hello." A voice came.