Preface

Eeeeech.

The polished door swung open under her touch. She inhaled lightly, terrified to alert anything that might be lurking in the shadows around her. Her fingers clutched around her phone a bit too tightly, debating for the fourth time on whether or not she should turn on the flashlight. But then again, any signal of her presence would be a beacon waving at him that she had arrived, and she wouldn't want that.

Of course she wouldn't.

Then the thick odor struck her like a wave and sent her coughing wildly. She grasped for the door again, overwhelmed, seeking for balance. Her heart raced as if a hundred butterflies fluttered upon it as her hand jerked towards her chest, patting it to sooth the coughing. 

Great.

Only an idiot like yourself, Meliora Blair, would cough like an elephant would. You sure did remember to "keep a low profile". 

She sighed. There was no point in keeping quiet now. She ruined it only by being in this place for ten minutes – like she ruined everything else back at home. 

Almost like a correspondence, a muffled voice made her jump. It surely wasn't there before. It was close, probably twenty feet away. It sounded like a struggle, a helpless voice trying to find its way to her. Nathaniel.

Or it could only be what she expected – no, wanted it to be.