hIm

"Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?"
---Robin Williams

There were things worse than this. Worse than what was unfolding in front of her. 

But her eyes couldn't seem to tear themselves away from the scene.

Everything seemed to move sluggishly as Kai's fist connected with Aaron's face. Mel couldn't help but gasp. The boy's head jerked back to the reaction before he straightened himself and glared at Kai. Aaron's eyes were icy cold as he rubbed his hands together, preparing himself. 

Mel's feet were glued to the ground. What the hell is happening? She stared, gaping appallingly at the two boys in front of her.

Ginger was the one who stepped into the frame.

"Enough!" Her voice was full of power, full of authority, full of command. It pierced through Mel's daydream before she tore her eyes from Aaron's face and fixated her gaze on the girl across her. 

Ginger's amber eyes were on fire. Even though it wasn't directed at Mel, her glare was sharper than knives. Mel could hear the tightness in the other girl's voice as she marched out, and she tried hard to tear her eyes off the stern gaze cutting through the chaotic scene across.

Kai froze. His raised fist dropped before he lowered at Ginger, who now had moved between him and Aaron, her head held high, gazing Kai in the eye with her cool stare.

Despite the weak figure of Ginger planted in front of him, Kai's glare softened before he looked away, retreating. Mel stared in awe. This town really was full of strange surprises. 

She didn't think anyone would cause such an impact on Spoiled Kai, but the scene in front of her proved her wrong. She watched, astonished, as Kai narrowed his eyes before turning away. When Mel's gaze shifted back to Ginger, the girl was no longer frowning at Kai. Instead, she had turned around, her hands cupped around Aaron's cheeks, examining his bruises. Aaron winced before pushing her hands away, pouting like a child.

"I'm okay, Ginger," he said coldly, "I'm not a kid anymore."

Ginger rolled her eyes at the comment before crossing her arms in front of her chest.

None of them made a remark on Mel's presence nor glanced at her way. It was as if one moment she was the center of attention, and the next they'd forgotten all about her. She looked at Kai's shadow, already a distance away, before realizing their mission this afternoon.

"Wait," she ran after him, catching up to his long strides. He turned at her voice.

"I'm not apologizing for what I did," he replied matter-of-factly. 

"It's not that," Mel bit her lip. Though I suggest you do. "Are you--are you still up for this afternoon?" Her voice was almost inaudible. How could she still be thinking for herself even after what just happened?

His eyes lightened at the topic. Mel noticed the realization washing over his gaze before he narrowed his eyes. "Of course I am."

Thanks. "Okay," she murmured, half to herself.

For a second he hesitated, his lips parting as if he had something to say to her. She stared at him, waiting for his words. But it was only for a moment. Mel looked down before Kai closed his jaw and swallowed, turning away again and stalking into the distance with his long legs.