Part 4

We hopped that fence. My heart was racing the entire time, and while I had never done something like that before I did it with the air of doing so a million times. Maybe it was in my blood.

We collected our chairs on the other side before slinking away towards the bathrooms and concession stand.

There were three movie screens in the lot, and the concession stand was smack dab in the middle on the only piece of cement in the drive-in. It was a little ivory white building with the same color red for the roof as the sign outside had. On the back of it was a cartoon of a blue popcorn bag with black eyes and an open grin, telling us to, "Pop by!"

Because we had planned on paying to get in, Cass and I had extra money to blow on junk food at the concessions. So when the friendly looking Milk Duds box painted on the other side by the door, told us, "Get yourself a treat!" We happily obliged.

After two extra-large buckets of popcorn, sodas with unlimited refills, and all the candy we could carry, we walked back out into the lot.

By then the sun had completely set, and the only lights in the lot were coming from the concessions.

The Steven Spielberg marathon was taking up two screens. They'd be playing two movies per screen, and four movies directed by him total. On the third screen they were showing all three Back to the Future movies.

"I think this one is playing Jaws," said Cass, pointing to the screen we were walking in front of. She had been obsessed with Jaws for as long as we've been friends. So when she began the hunt for a spot for us to watch it I didn't argue that we should see Raiders of the Lost Arc instead.

We weaved in and out between Fords, Chevys, Lincolns, and Vistas, searching for the perfect spot. We finally came across an open parking space and set up camp.

Cass played around with the external car speaker, looking for the station that would match up with the preview playing on our screen. I untied my sweatshirt from around my waist and put it over my sunburn to keep the mosquitoes from sucking me dry. After she matched up the radio, Cass did the same.

It wasn't an uncommon sight to see people sitting in lawn chairs beside their cars to watch a drive-in movie. We didn't have a car, but our neighbors didn't give us any odd looks once the feature started. We blended right in.

I pulled out my quilt, laying it across myself and Cass. We settled back in our chairs. I slurped on my cherry Coke, and Cass tore open her sour gummy worms. The bucket of buttery popcorn warmed my lap and greased my hands when I dove into it. Sitting there under the stars with Cass I was just little past bliss, and just under heaven.

I was relishing in the pride of getting away with something this big